Jul 18, 2012, 6:53 PM EST
The family of an 8-year-old whose skull was fractured by a foul ball during a game at Turner Field on Aug. 30, 2010 is suing the Braves and MLB for negligence.
The suit doesn’t disclose the names of those filing. They’d like both their privacy and their money. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which has decided to play along and not reveal any names, the suit seeks unspecified damages for the girl’s pain and suffering, punitive damages and compensation for the family’s medical expenses, which are expected to exceed $100,000.
The girl was 6 years old when she was injured. No additional details on her condition were provided.
These kinds of lawsuits against MLB teams and the league have rarely succeeded. The league has warnings printed on every ticket sold stating that fans attending games do so at their own risk.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)