Jul 18, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT
In theory, Francisco Rodriguez should be in line for a lighter workload now that he’s Milwaukee’s closer. Two days in, though, it certainly hasn’t worked that way.
Working for the fourth straight day, Rodriguez walked three and threw 35 pitches on his way to getting a save against the Cardinals in the Brewers’ 4-3 win Wednesday.
Rodriguez threw 12 pitches Sunday, 17 Monday and 19 Tuesday before getting the ball in the ninth in a 4-2 game today. He struggled with his control and issued three walks on 3-2 counts, but he was able to get Lance Berkman to line out to left field to end it.
Overall, Rodriguez has thrown 43 2/3 innings, which doesn’t seem excessive by itself. He’s on pace to throw 77 2/3 innings for the season, which would be his high mark since 2004, but only the third highest of his career.
K-Rod, though, has been forced to step it up lately. He’s worked four days in a row twice this month. For the season, he’s made 20 appearances on zero days’ rest, leading major league relievers. Detroit’s Jose Valverde is second with 18, followed by five guys with 16.
Fortunately, the Brewers have Thursday off, so they won’t have to worry about the ninth inning tomorrow. I think they should probably give K-Rod an extra day off on Friday after 83 pitches in four days, but that could lead to a difficult choice in the ninth. Making his first appearance since K-Rod replaced him in the closer’s role, John Axford got the win in relief today after getting four outs in the fifth and sixth innings. The Brewers probably wouldn’t want to go back to him in the ninth right away this weekend, but they also don’t want to burn K-Rod out.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 28
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)