Jul 18, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT
In theory, Francisco Rodriguez should be in line for a lighter workload now that he’s Milwaukee’s closer. Two days in, though, it certainly hasn’t worked that way.
Working for the fourth straight day, Rodriguez walked three and threw 35 pitches on his way to getting a save against the Cardinals in the Brewers’ 4-3 win Wednesday.
Rodriguez threw 12 pitches Sunday, 17 Monday and 19 Tuesday before getting the ball in the ninth in a 4-2 game today. He struggled with his control and issued three walks on 3-2 counts, but he was able to get Lance Berkman to line out to left field to end it.
Overall, Rodriguez has thrown 43 2/3 innings, which doesn’t seem excessive by itself. He’s on pace to throw 77 2/3 innings for the season, which would be his high mark since 2004, but only the third highest of his career.
K-Rod, though, has been forced to step it up lately. He’s worked four days in a row twice this month. For the season, he’s made 20 appearances on zero days’ rest, leading major league relievers. Detroit’s Jose Valverde is second with 18, followed by five guys with 16.
Fortunately, the Brewers have Thursday off, so they won’t have to worry about the ninth inning tomorrow. I think they should probably give K-Rod an extra day off on Friday after 83 pitches in four days, but that could lead to a difficult choice in the ninth. Making his first appearance since K-Rod replaced him in the closer’s role, John Axford got the win in relief today after getting four outs in the fifth and sixth innings. The Brewers probably wouldn’t want to go back to him in the ninth right away this weekend, but they also don’t want to burn K-Rod out.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 0
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 11
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 65
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 48
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)