John Rocker: pro gay-marriage, pro-choice

Jul 18, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT

John Rocker

Former Braves’ closer John Rocker was made infamous when he went on a xenophobic rant in Jeff Pearlman’s now-immortal SI profile way back when. And in recent years he’s popped up here and there to say something kinda crazy and reactionary.

Now he’s a political commentator for World Net Daily, where he offers columns about how immigrants should speak English and how big government is gonna get you.  But even if I don’t share his views there, I’ll give the guy credit for philosophical consistency. He doesn’t just believe that government should stay out of business and stuff. He believes it should stay out of the bedroom and the home as well.

Here he is talking to Politico on gay marriage:

“Am I someone that thinks that I have the right to sit back and judge someone that I don’t know, will never meet, on how they should live their life or what rights they can have to live their life the way they want to? I don’t think I deserve that responsibility.”

And on abortion:

“Obviously, conservatives would look at me cross-eyed and argue vehemently with me, but I just don’t think one man can tell another man how they can live their life within the confines of moral decisions.”

Like I said, I don’t think John Rocker and I would agree on almost anything if we sat down to discuss politics. But I’ll say that, after years of treating him like a punchline, he deserves a little more credit. Not because his views here on a couple of issues hew more closely to mine, but because, if he is writing these columns himself, there is actually some thought put to them and a form of intellectual consistency to them that I admire.

1. aceshigh11 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM

So he’s more of a libertarian rather than a Christian conservative.

2. Stacey - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Wow, that was shocking to read.

3. bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Personal growth and evolution should always be celebrated and encouraged.

In John Rocker’s case the evolution is so profound that the folks at CERN are wondering if they can find evidence of the Higgs-Boson flying around him.

4. texasdawg - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Libertarian rote: so easy a caveman can do it.

• chill1184 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Considering that socialist medicine Mitt Romney is the GOP nomination and not Ron Paul I still say that liberty is still a foreign concept to voters.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Libertarianism . . . the go to party philosophy for Republicans and Democrats everywhere when they need a fresh idea to offer their sheeople and and claim as their own.

5. Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I appreciate the post Craig, but linking to WND in any forum is worthy of being blocked and reported. Just sayin’.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Worldnetdaily.com…for those special times when Newsmax.com or Townhall.com just AREN’T psychotic enough.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Don’t know anything about Townhall.com. But I will say the newsmax spews their psychotic ideals equally.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Older, wiser and a little less ‘roidy seems to agree with Mr. Rocker.

His last name now seems to conjure images of a comfy chair in the corner of his study, as opposed to a garage band singer with a crappy mohawk and tattoos.

7. deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM

He never said he didn’t like gays- he just didn’t want to sit next to them on the f#cking #7 train.

• sdelmonte - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Which is fair, since I doubt they want to sit next to him.

As if you can get a seat on the 7-train anyway.

8. martywinn - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Rocker did not say (in the quotes) that he was in favor of abortion or gay marriage, just that it is not his place to tell someone else what to do. That’s a form of libertarianism. I consider myself a libertarian too, but of a different stripe. Rocker says, “I just don’t think one man can tell another man how they can live their life within the confines of moral decisions”. Does anyone really agree with this statement? Deciding to kill (or rob or rape) someone is a moral decision. Can we as a society not tell another man they can not do this? What a ridiculous statement. And that you would celebrate this Craig is crazy. Super, he aligns with you on a couple of political points that you did not expect. Are you in agreement with his logic too?

If Rocker had said something more like, “I just don’t think one man can tell another man how they can live their life within the confines of decisions that do not infringe on the rights or property of others” then I could get behind that. Next time we can argue if abortion infringes on the rights of anyone.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Cut Johnny some slack, it’s only now that’s he’s learning to write and be articulate.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

No, of course he made a blanket statement which does not include things like rape and murder. there’s no such thing as a pure libertarian. Like there’s no such thing as a pure socialist, or pure anything.

Those who come close, no matter who they align with, become an extremeist.

I don’t think he’s be a propenent of rampant crime without some kinds of police, or disbandment of the military.

Cut the slackjaw yokel some slack, it’s probably the most intelligent thing he’s ever said.

I wish we had an awful lot more Libertarian in this country, at least from a fiscal standpoint.

• martywinn - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM

But the blanket statement Rocker made is the basis for Rocker saying he can’t tell someone not to have an abortion or to get same sex-married married. The statement was either illogical or ridiculous (or both). But he uses this statement to come to conclusions that Craig praises him for. What Craig really (I think) liked is that he came to the same conclusions that Craig likes. A self-aware person would question his own conclusions if this is the sort of logic that leads one to agree with you or they would at least say, “Rocker is crazy, we come to the same conclusion here but for different reasons.”

You say, “No, of course he made a blanket statement which does not include things like rape and murder” Like I took it to some illogical extreme? It’s the amoral decisions that we cannot tell people not to make. ie Rooting for the Yankees, marrying a blonde, drinking coffee. The moral decisions those are the ones that society has an interest in. I think that the dividing line on these moral decisions is whether they violate the rights of others. Well you can lie to someone about your weight (I guess) as long as you are not putting them at risk (sharing a parachute?), but you can’t lie in court when someone is on trial for their life.

Craig says, “there is actually some thought put to them and a form of intellectual consistency to them that I admire” I’m just asking, “Is this really thought? or intellectual consistency worthy of admiration?” I say it is poor conclusions based on a poor premise to be avoided, not admired.

• senotonom205 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Do not equate gay marriage and murder. You invalidate your entire argument by doing that.

• martywinn - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM

They were not equated. They are both moral issues though.

I did list gay marriage and abortion, just like Craig did. Did you just substitute murder for marriage? I’m willing to equate those 2 things, glad to see you agree there.

9. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM

What a relief, I’ve been struggling with these issues left and right and ultimately, I decided the best way to form an opinion is to simply copy whatever John Rocker believes. Finally, I have my answer.

10. number42is1 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM

‘Cepts changed his name to John Rocker?

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Oh, ‘cepts definitely thinks the government should be able to legislate morality (as long as it is his morality that is the lawful one).

• gerryb323 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

And here I am thinking that Cepts was John Rocker…way to go getting all not crazy Johnny!

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM

No . . . he changed his name to DeathMonkey41

11. hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

G Gordon Liddy : Failed burglary, felon
    Ollie North : Actually palled around with terrorists, Sold weapons to Iran to fund human rights atrocities comitted by the Contras
    John Rocker : Racist ex baseball player, no college
    Victoria Jackson : Rarely seen actress, attended unaccredited bible college.
    Rush: Draft dodger, former welfare recipient, DJ, flunked out of public college after 2 semesters
    Sean Hannity: College droput, Carpenter, only useful skill that go him a radio show: Anti-Gay/AIDS

Man! It is tough to become a right wing commenter/expert! It takes massive expertise to be taken seriously by hillbillies huh.

• skids003 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Takes less expertise to recognize an a**hole though, hittfamily.

Nice post though, Craig.

• skids003 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Takes less to recognize a jerk like you though.

On the other note, thanks for the post Craig. Eye opening.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Interesting fact about skids003: nick-named skidmarks, but has never even driven a car. GROSS!

• dexterismyhero - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Barack Obama is a lawyer. Michelle Obama is a lawyer.

Hillary Clinton is a lawyer. Bill Clinton is a lawyer.

John Edwards is a lawyer. Elizabeth Edwards was a lawyer.

Every Democrat nominee since 1984 went to law school (although Gore did not graduate).

Every Democrat vice presidential nominee since 1976, except for Lloyd Bentsen, went to law school.

Look at leaders of the Democrat Party in Congress:

Harry Reid is a lawyer. Nancy Pelosi is a lawyer.

hittfamily probably failed the bar exam…..nice try though

The Republican Party is different.

President Bush is a businessman.

Vice President Cheney is a businessman.

The leaders of the Republicans:

Newt Gingrich was a history professor.

Tom Delay was an exterminator. Dick Armey was an economist.

House Minority Leader Boehner was a plastic manufacturer.

The former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is a heart surgeon.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Dexter: Shhhh! Don’t use the term “businessman.”
        It is a dirty word in HBT land. It matters not who started the business, writes the checks, employ’s numerous people, takes all responsiblity for a companies failure, who has the weight of each employee’s family member on their shoulders. They are dirty, ruthless, money hungry capitalists.
        Now…on to wall street! We are marching. Just let me charge my Iphone first.

• yahmule - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

And they all do the bidding of white collar criminals and don’t give a rat’s ass about ordinary people. Who said common ground was impossible to find?

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM

President Bush inherited a lot of money

Dick Cheney siede with big oil during his political years as a senator, then miraculously parlayed that into running a oil company (with no experience). Later, that oil company received a no bid multi billion dollar contract in Iraq. Also, should be a felon guilty of treason for outing Valerie Plame as a CIA officer, but his fall man took the heat for that.

Newt Gingrich is a draft dodger. He also resigned the 3rd highest elected political office in the land in disgrace. Divorced his first wife while she was battling cancer. Divorced his second wife after an illicit affair. Married 3 times, “values” expert. Didn’t cash a paycheck not signed by a government agency until after his 50th birthday, but is small government (what?).

Tom Delay is a felon.

Boehner is a draft dodger, and a career politician.

• ufullpj - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM

This is one of the more ridiculous and ignorant posts I’ve ever read here in “Hardball Talk”….then St.Louis Baseball decided to weigh in and up the ante. With the exception of Bush – who loved K Street because it was so easy for him to spell – nearly everyone you’ve named on your list (including many Democrats) will be paid very high fees from law firms to head up strategic consulting in Washington (AKA lobbying), like Dick Armey was, for example, by DLA Piper. I don’t want to wreck either of your simpleton minds, but neither of you two have a clue in hell as to what you’re talking about.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Enighten me please Ufulloshit. How does K street have anything to do with this. What does lobbying have to do with any of this. Every person I named committed their crimes/misdoings while in office, or before they came into office. But please sir, explain why it is so ridiculous.

It is so cowardly to come into an argument, call everyone an idiot, and walk away!

• ufullpj - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Hey Hittfamily, first of all, I’m writing this from my office on K Street, so I’m a little wired into this world you guys are talking about. Second, I was replying to “Dexterismyhero”. Third – calm down. You can’t reply to replies with this software; it’s replies to the original post. Fourth – my suggestion is for you to calm down, re-read what I wrote, note what it is actually replying to, and then just simple reply and say, “I’m sorry”. Thanks.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Oh crap. You are right. And I am sorry. It’s hard to tell who is replying to what, and it seems as if I’m in a 1 on 5 here. I thought it was a 1 on 6.

• ufullpj - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM

No worries. Now, carry on and be well -

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

“Didn’t cash a paycheck not signed by a government agency until after his 50th birthday.”
      “and a career politician.”

Yeah…and this separates them from all the other politicians doesn’t it?
      Oh wait…that’s right. They are ALL career politicans.
      We could do this all day Hittfamily. Keep it coming.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My original post was about political commentators and their expertise. What expertise does John Rocker have? When he was hired, was he hired for any reason other than being an outspoken racist? Is there any question George Zimmerman will be a Fox contributor at some point after he serves 10 years for manslaughter?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM

“Is there any question George Zimmerman will be a Fox contributor at some point after he serves 10 years for manslaughter?”

For me? Hell yes there is a question.
      Two “no’s actually.”
      He won’t be serving as a contributor and he won’t be convicted of manslaugther.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Sean Hannity already contributed to his defense fund. He has also spoken to him multiple times on the phones jailhouse records show. He won’t report on the phone calls though.

Job interview, or is he just Zimmerman’s buddy?

If Zimmerman gets off, I found a way to murder all of my enemies. Chase them down, start a fight, start to lose the fight, shoot them. My neighbors better stop parking in front of my house!

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM

“Also, hit the correct respond button so your posts are a little easier to fillow.”

Please know I would certainly hit the correct reply button if there were one under the particular post I am responding to. The other option is to respond to a post of that same person w/ my reply. Just like I am doing this time. If there is another option I would be happy to try that.

12. fearlessleader - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM

“On abortion: …’I just don’t think one man can tell another man how they can live their life within the confines of moral decisions.’”

Um….does he realize it’s not usually MEN who get abortions?

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Yeah, he just thinks men should be making those decisions for the women folk…it being the 19th century where he lives and all…

• fearlessleader - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Laughing that somebody thumbs-downed this…..

13. largebill - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM

hittfamily,

Do you research any of your nonsensical comments or do you just just cut and paste from inaccurate political emails?
    President Bush did not inherit his wealth. Last I checked his parents are still alive.
    VP Cheney did not out CIA desk jockey Plame. Colin Powell’s assistant Richard Armitage did that. Libby was convicted of perjury for his memory of a conversation not matching Tim Russert’s recollection.
    Gingrich while reprehensible in some of his personal life decisions was not a draft dodger. He got a couple college deferments and after they expired he was not drafted. Here are a couple clues for ya: 1. Can’t be a draft dodger if you’re not drafted. 2. Not sure how old you are but guess what not everyone who was of draft age & eligible was drafted. Unlike WWII, the number drafted in the 1960’s/early 70’s was no where near a majority of draft age men. I think it was less than 1 in 10 men drafted. Also, are saying that because he drew a government check as a teacher & educator he is disqualified from recognizing government and bureaucracy has grown too big? As someone who drew a government check for a couple decades in the Navy I resent the hell out of that notion.
    John Boehner – How is he a draft dodger? He enlisted in the military right out of high school. He had a back injury in boot camp and was discharged.
    Just out of curiosity, what is the extent of your impressive military service?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

This doesn’t mean he didn’t inherit wealth though, as I’m sure the Bush family didn’t start with H.W. Bush….

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Sen. Prescott Bush was not poverty-stricken.

• largebill - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Normally you don’t inherit from grandparents. I’ve seen nothing to indicate he received a huge inheritance. I don’t doubt his name opened doors and helped him get opportunities in business. As far as I’ve heard most of his wealth came from the great deal he got on buying and then later selling the Texas Rangers.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Are you serious?????

He didn’t inherit much money, but he bought a professional team!!!!

Do you see how these 2 do not mash up very well?

I didn’t inherit much money either. Perhaps I could only purchase the Rays instead of the Rangers.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’ve never been in the military. It was a decision I made. I wish I would have though. I could have retired with full benefits at 40, had health care for life, and everyone would refer to me as a hero, deserving or not. I sure as shit didn’t dodge any drafts like the chickenhawks Cheney, Bush, Gingrich, Rush, Clarence Thomas, Phil Graham and the list goes on and on.

• largebill - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM

“What’s the extent of your political public service? Oh you have none? According to your rules, you can’t comment on this then.”

No, dummy, those were the rules you foolishly attempted to apply to Gingrich. Try to follow along with your own specious arguments.
        Also, once again you are saying dishonest things in calling people draft dodgers who were not draft dodgers.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM