Lance Berkman admits he doesn’t have “any bat speed”

Jul 18, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT

berkman ap AP

Lance Berkman made the final out in the Cardinals’ crushing 4-3 loss to the Brewers on Wednesday afternoon at Milwaukee’s Miller Park, lofting a bases-loaded fly-out to the warning track in deep left field.

“Big Puma” is now 0-for-8 with three walks and four strikeouts since returning this past weekend from knee surgery, and acknowledged to B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest on Wednesday evening that he doesn’t feel like he has very much strength:

“I just don’t have any bat speed right now,” said the 36-year-old first baseman. “That ball I hit in the ninth, that’s a grand slam. If I have my normal bat speed, it goes out of the ballpark, but I don’t and it died on the warning track.”

Perhaps Berkman should have spent a week or so on a minor league rehab assignment. With it being too late for that now, the Cardinals will merely hope that he can get back on track by taking extra batting practice.

Berkman is hitting .275/.393/.471 with one home run and four RBI in 61 total plate appearances this year.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

What? But Orel Hershiser was just gushing about Berkmans’s bat speed on national television,Sunday night? Does this mean Orel doesn’t know everything as he wants us to believe?

2. fearlessleader - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Lance, I love the hell out of you and I cried with joy when your injury turned out to be less drastic than we’d all feared, but anyone watching the Cardinals has known all week that you weren’t ready to go just yet.

In my perfect world, Berkman would have taken a rehab assignment, Beltran would have stayed out of the home-run derby, and Matt Holliday wouldn’t have swung at that awful, awful pitch that struck him out in the ninth today. Rough week to be a Redbird fan.

• jon623 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I’m a Mariner’s fan. Trust me, it’s been a bad week…year….decade…. franchise history?… for us in the Pacific Northwest. Count your blessings, amigo.

• fearlessleader - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Point taken. Truth is, I’m feeling unbelievably un-greedy after last year, partly because the highs of the last two months ought to sustain me for the next several years, and partly because my heart can’t take a repeat so soon anyway. :)

3. okwhitefalcon - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The Cards have bigger issues than Puma regaining his bat speed, he’s not the only one who failed with runners in scoring position over the road trip.

4. danielcp0303 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I think they have a pill for that. Nothing to be ashamed of

5. ptfu - Jul 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM

This is Big Puma convincing pitchers to throw him more fastballs down the middle. “Sorry guys, I can’t hit fastballs anymore. No way, no how.” (off-camera big wink)

6. ajcardsfan - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

It takes a big man to admit when he has problems; I think for now the Cards should let him do extra batting practice, and then just have him on the bench for a PH role until he can get back up to par.

7. eastcoastcynic - Jul 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Lance should at the man in the mirror, and hold a press conference to announce that it’s been a good career.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS