Jul 18, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Samuel L. Jackson tweeted out an amusingly quasi-obscene congratulations to Lucas Giolito after the Nationals’ first-round pick agreed to a $2.925 million deal just moments before last Friday’s signing deadline and it turns out the actor is a family friend.
Giolito’s mom and dad are both actors and they live in California, so here’s what he told Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com:
My dad has played golf with him a bunch of times, he is actually friends with Sam. I was able to meet him and talk to him a couple of years ago. I have actually gotten a couple of presents from him. I got a signed Mace Windu light saber from him, the purple one. Those are the kinds of things I hang up in my room.
In related news: Lucas Giolito is 18 years old … and so is Pulp Fiction.
(Full disclosure: I had to ask Calcaterra if “lightsaber” is one word or two.)
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)