Jul 18, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Samuel L. Jackson tweeted out an amusingly quasi-obscene congratulations to Lucas Giolito after the Nationals’ first-round pick agreed to a $2.925 million deal just moments before last Friday’s signing deadline and it turns out the actor is a family friend.
Giolito’s mom and dad are both actors and they live in California, so here’s what he told Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com:
My dad has played golf with him a bunch of times, he is actually friends with Sam. I was able to meet him and talk to him a couple of years ago. I have actually gotten a couple of presents from him. I got a signed Mace Windu light saber from him, the purple one. Those are the kinds of things I hang up in my room.
In related news: Lucas Giolito is 18 years old … and so is Pulp Fiction.
(Full disclosure: I had to ask Calcaterra if “lightsaber” is one word or two.)
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 1
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 32
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)