Lucas Giolito is buddies with Samuel L. Jackson, has Mace Windu lightsaber hanging in his room

Jul 18, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

sam jackson

Samuel L. Jackson tweeted out an amusingly quasi-obscene congratulations to Lucas Giolito after the Nationals’ first-round pick agreed to a $2.925 million deal just moments before last Friday’s signing deadline and it turns out the actor is a family friend.

Giolito’s mom and dad are both actors and they live in California, so here’s what he told Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com:

My dad has played golf with him a bunch of times, he is actually friends with Sam. I was able to meet him and talk to him a couple of years ago. I have actually gotten a couple of presents from him. I got a signed Mace Windu light saber from him, the purple one. Those are the kinds of things I hang up in my room.

In related news: Lucas Giolito is 18 years old … and so is Pulp Fiction.

(Full disclosure: I had to ask Calcaterra if “lightsaber” is one word or two.)

1. sdelmonte - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Get with the times. Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury. Even DC fans know that.

• natstowngreg - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Samuel L. Jackson is all things to all people. Well, OK, almost all things to almost all people.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM

He’s also the guy who tries to rob the MacDonald’s in Coming to America.

• sdelmonte - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Fair enough. I suppose what he is, after all is said and done, is Samuel L. Jackson.

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM

To me, he’s Shaft….that is how I envision the life of SLJ (without the crime fighting, but with all the coolness and smoothness and badness).

• cur68 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, he’s a Bad Motherf***er, all right.

2. number42is1 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Pulp Fiction is 18???? HOLY SHIT!

• eshine76 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

When I read that, it was like someone just kicked me in the Tuesdays

• number42is1 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM

“Better than Monday”
        -Crawford

Too soon?

• jon623 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

^Maybe something is flying over my head, but can you explain this Tuesdays/Monday exchange?

3. natstowngreg - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

It’s clear that coming from an acting family has helped young Giolito. He did a half-inning on the Nats’ TVcast and sounded like a recent graduate of the Crash Davis School of Baseball Cliches. Earlier, his parents were shown in the home plate seats as their son was introduced to a 4-star General.

• natslady - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Saw that. Really hard to believe the kid is just eighteen…

4. mybrunoblog - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Later Jackson tweeted “Normally, both your asses would be dead as fucking fried chicken but you happen to pull this shit while I’m in a transitional period so I don’t wanna kill you, I wanna help you.”

Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece and as great an actor as Jackson is, those Star Wars prequels mostly sucked IMHO.

• number42is1 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM

“You give him that money Jules and I’ll shoot him on fucking principle”

• Old Gator - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:22 PM

It would be a hoot if the sabre had “Bad Motherfucker” inscribed on the hilt.

• Old Gator - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Bruno: I second both ends of that comment.

But if you want to understand Star Wars – and understand where the whole idea for the light saber came from – you have to watch Akira Kurosawa’s less well known samurai masterpiece The Hidden Fortress, and then read Joseph Campbell’s The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Thet that is how George Lucas put it all together.

5. waxdaclam - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:55 PM

“Tell that bitch ‘Be cool!’!!!”

“Be cool, Hunny Bunny…”