Report: Red Sox, Marlins talking about a trade involving Carl Crawford, Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell

Jul 18, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT

UPDATE: Olney just killed everyone’s buzz. BUT I STILL BELIEVE, MAN!

2:01 PM: This sounds like a total hot mess of a trade rumor, but I freakling LOVE hot messes, so:

Nightengale has updated it with a longer story citing three sources. Wowzers. Where to begin.

On a dollars and cents scale, this would easily be one of the biggest trades in baseball history, as Crawford, Ramirez and Bell are owed nearly $240 million among them.  It would also involve a big problem (Bell stinks this year) a lesser, but more chronic problem (Ramirez’s increasingly erratic production and always interesting attitude) and an absolute sell-low guy (Crawford, who is TWO GAMES back from injuries and still near the beginning of a monster deal).

Given the ascension of Will Middlebrooks, this would certainly mean that Ramirez would be a shortstop again. Which would make his bat more valuable, but it’s a position one wonders how long he can handle. Crawford’s game may be better suited to Marlins Park, but again, why the Red Sox would give up on him now when his stock can only rise? It’s not like the Marlins are going to take that whole contract on, are they?

Such a trade would raise more questions than it would answer. I don’t get it, and I suspect that this is just one of those things people shoot the breeze about more than they seriously contemplate it.

But if it were to happen? Wow!

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM

This is absolutely insane, and a TON of money would have to be moved around. I don’t even know if it makes any sense. But I love it.

2. shaggylocks - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I’m going to need some help removing this palm from my face…

• sabatimus - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Totally. And I’m the first person to champion a trade of Crawford. But Hanley can’t field and is a head case, and Bell….Bell’s performance speaks for itself.

3. number42is1 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM

you forgot the part about the Yanks getting King Felix for DeWayne Wise.

• Jeremiah Graves - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

That DeWayne Wise, he’s just the run-producer the Mariners need to put ‘em over the top!

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

He’ll set the table for the dangerous bat of Justin Smoak.

• number42is1 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

There’s a Montero joke in here somewhere….

4. bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

This also illustrates something about the new CBA we haven’t considered . . . that big-market, big resource teams will likely avoid trades that involve disproportionate amounts of payroll going in one direction.

Which, of course, runs counter to the type of payroll dumps we have seen in past years.

This deals makes sense on many levels . . . and if it happens I will tout the fact that I stated over the Winter that Cherington will get HanRam back.

• Old Gator - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I remember that and I also recall hoping you were right. The problem is that the Hanster’s season has gone into the tank and he’s not going to be worth enough to anyway the way he’s playing to merit all that much of a return unless he’s packaged like a candy bar with a couple of big empty cardboard baffles. And there aren’t many GMs left who would fall for that now that Minaya isn’t around to sign any checks.

5. skeleteeth - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

What? I didn’t click on any link up there but from what I read on MLBTradeRumors an hour ago the Red Sox contacted the Marlins and Dodgers about Crawford and that was it.

6. ss - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Buster just sent the following to Craig. I skateboard-hacked this out of Buster’s AOL account like it’s 1995 and I’m Angelina Jolie.
    ———-
    Hey Craig? Need you to be a buddy and get off the shed, OK? That deal? It’s all bullshit.

Thanks,

B.
    ———-

7. pinkfloydprism - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

This rumor has already been confirmed as having died almost instantaneously.

8. bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Olney just got a call from Cherington begging that Olney shoot down the speculation. We all know Crawford is a headcase and if this deal doesn’t happen . . . we don’t need him constantly looking over his shoulder for Cherington to come down and conference.

But this deal makes too much sense! Way too much sense! Please let it or something very much like it be true.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

How fun would this be to see, and to talk about? I think our brains would explode from so much action.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM

WMSIK:

NO DOUBT! Here’s the thing . . . sure Beckett and Lowell helped us win the 2007 World Series, but we can’t assume that the Sox wouldn’t have acquired another Pitcher and 3B some other way if Theo hadn’t gone Gorilla.

I have never been a fan of that trade and dislike Beckett for my own reasons.

I think Theo was probably disappointed in that deal when it happened and I wouldn’t be surprised that in hindsight Cherington has determined it wasn’t the best move the Sox could have made for the long-term future of the organization.

Sanchez has blossomed into a solid 2nd or 3rd Starter and though HanRam has had an extended run of bad play, I wouldn’t be surprised if a change of scenery with better protection and use of The Wall for 81 games a year is the panacea for what ails his bat.

The only way this deal could get better is if Sanchez for Beckett were somehow included.

9. hammyofdoom - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

This had NO way of happening. Honestly heath bell is giving up taters in a huge ballpark, he wouldnt even be able to play at fenway.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Seeing a guy with over $100 milion due to him being dealt would sure be entertaining, though.

• Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Happened with A-Rod.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Exactly.

10. sgoodmantzak - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’ll give you my non-contributing zeros for your non-contributing zeros

• 18thstreet - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I don’t know if a Red Sox fan wrote this, but I don’t understand how anyone could have watched Carl Crawford systematically take about the Red Sox for all those years could call him a zero.

He’s been hurt, and if he doesn’t recover, the contract will be a disaster. But he’s a phenomenal player who used to murder us when he was in the other dugout.

11. deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

The Red Sox just haven’t felt comfortable since Bobby Jenks left- they need a loveable fat guy out there in the pen!

• homelanddefense - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Matt Albers

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Forgot about Albers. Maybe they want two- because it reminds Henry of the motorcycle twins in the Guiness Book.

• homelanddefense - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM

valid point

12. bradybbgoat - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Cherington is obviously trying to make his mark if these rumours are true.

Guess he didn’t think to highly of some of his former boss’ personnel decisions.

13. randygnyc - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

How does Crawford like Valentine now?

• 18thstreet - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

True story: Bobby Valentine is not the general manager.

14. hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

On a more realistic front, if Ozzie was Valentine, is there actually a winner?

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

traded for

edit button

15. mornelithe - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Well, hypothetically, even if the entire rumor hadn’t been crushed by Cherrington…Hanley playing SS would put Pedroia…where? Trade bait?

• mornelithe - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Duh, sorry brain fart.

16. sergio408 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

If this trade goes down what does this mean for CP Andrew Bailey & Prospect SS Jose Iglesias?

17. impistoff - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

There’s only one GM in MLB who’s stupid enough to make a trade like this….Theo inEptstein !!

18. pisano - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Boston should be so lucky to unload this flake Crawford, but with that stupid contract Theo gave him, I’m afraid they’ll be stuck with him until the end.

19. hushbrother - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I’m a Sox fan and I would love to get rid of Crawford but I want no part of Heath Bell. How about just Crawford-for-Ramirez?

• pisano - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

hushbrother…. anyway they can dump him they should, ( does AJ Burnett ring a bell) it was a stupid contract even if he hit.300, the guy is not the game changer Theo made him out to be.

20. jon623 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM

*grabs a cup of coffee at the company coffee pot*
    Me: Hey Craig, how’s it going tonight?
    Craig: Pretty good, pretty good… did you hear about this new trade rumor?
    Me: Which one? Is something happening with Greinke?
    Craig: No no, it’s not that… *hush voice* There’s rumors going around that the Bo Sox might be sending Crawford and a prospect to Miami for Hanley and Bell.
    Me: *Spills coffee on myself. Between girlish screams caused by scalding hot coffee on my hand:* “WHAT?!?!” This is CRAAAAZZYYYY!!! *ouch* Why would Bos- no, why would Mia- no…. wait… Craig I just don’t understand!!! This is HUUUUUGEEEE!!!
    *Walks out of the office in a psychotic rant, rambling about injuries and attitudes and slumps and market value*
    Craig: *looks at camera* “Got him. ;)

Sound about right? That’s pretty much how I see it panning out.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3324)