Report: The Phillies to offer Cole Hamels six years, $130 million

Jul 18, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Cole Hamels Getty Images

Jon Heyman reported the other day that the Phillies were prepared to offer “more than $120 million” to Cole Hamels. Now he’s getting more specific:

The Phillies are sending signals that they are planning to make an initial offer to star lefthanded pitcher Cole Hamels for about $130 million over six years within the next few days, sources familiar with the team’s thinking told CBSSports.com.

The Phillies are believed to have had some conversations in recent days with Hamels, and while no official offer has been made yet, sources say the team is interested in doing a deal in the range of Matt Cain‘s six-year arrangement with the Giants.

Hard to say what that will do. It would be a reasonable assumption to think that Hamels will want more than Matt Cain is getting — $127 million or so — so this is not merely a non-starter, public relations offer.  But if Hamels truly wants to play the open market, it may not matter.

Targets north of Cain include Johan Santana‘s $137.5 million deal and CC Sabathia‘s $161 million deal, which he later opted out of and redid.

1. ame123 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I think something between Cain’s and Santana’s contract is more than fair. Santana was a better pitcher than Hamels.

• flyguys26 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM

A better pitcher than Hamels? Cole’s WS Ring and WS MVP trophy say otherwise.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Sorry man, look at Santana’s numbers in Minnesota. Ridiculous. He, at that point in time, was a better pitcher than Hamels is now. Also, a WS ring and MVP don’t make somebody a better pitcher. Sample size, etc.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Yeah just like that other bum called Halladay, no ring no trophy he’s nada, right?

• 12strikes - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I guess that by the WS ring argument Joe Blanton and Jamie Moyer are better also.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Well Blanton does have a WS HR…..

• skipperxc - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Santana’s pair of Cy Young Awards (and the one he got robbed of in ’05. Bartolo Colon? Really?) disagree. Santana was maybe the best pitcher in baseball from ’03-’07. Hamels is awfully good, but nobody’s ever argued he’s the best in the game for any stretch.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM

A better pitcher than Hamels? Cole’s WS Ring and WS MVP trophy say otherwise.

Luis Sojo thinks Ted Williams was a crappy hitter, after all Luis Sojo 5 rings > Ted Williams 0, right?

• jon623 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM

^ Hey, how do you do quotes like that? Pretty nifty. And I think you probably just pulled the biggest trump card possible. Ted Williams is the greatest player to never win a ring, hands down.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

@jon it’s html coding. For quotes, it’s >blockquote/blockquote< (note, you have to reverse the carrots). for italiacs it's the letter i, for bold it's b

2. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

6 yr/132 million with a 7th year team or vesting option bringing the deal to 7 yr/157. 8 million buyout after 6th season if option not picked up. So, a minimum it would be 6 yr/140 million. That is my proposal. Think that gets it done?

• CJ - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Yes, but I sincerely doubt the Phils go that far though.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Why? If they are willing to guarantee 6 yr/130, why not kick in the extra 10 million to make it happen? Or, do you believe the 7th yr team/vesting option would be the sticking point?

• CJ - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

The latter. I think it’d have to be vesting for Cole to do it, and I don’t think they’d go for that. I’m glad to see their making an exception and offering 6, but RAJ’s sunglass shades would shatter if he ever had to sign off on 7 years for a pitcher

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Of all the pitchers to be given such an offer Cole may well deserve 7 from his homegrown franchise.

• CJ - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM

FC, you won’t get an argument from me there. I just think the Phils see it different.

3. CJ - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Now we’re talking. That’s more than I thought they’d do but it shows they’re serious, as they should be. I’m not sure if that’s enough to get the job done, if they’re going this far already, they should be able to make it the rest of the way before the trade deadline and lock him up.

4. delawarephilliesfan - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I have believed all along that they will go up the ladder until a deal is reached.

I also have believed that while Cole will not take a “home town discount”, he knows the long term value of playing his whole career in one town.

Both parties – I believe – want a deal, therefore a deal will be done. Some will say it was too much. Time will tell

5. uyf1950 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Bump it up by 5 or 6 million and add a 7th year vesting option and it’s a done deal I would think. I do NOT think a straight 6 yrs/$130MM is enough to get it done.

6. tophermike - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I dont know. That kind of money doesnt sound very old school…

• CJ - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

perhaps its in yen or pesos. Or confederate dollars. Now THAT’s old school.

7. Francisco (FC) - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM

If it’s done you can say good bye to Victorino after 2012, as well as Utley after 2013. Somehow the Phillies have to free up space to pay all those hefty salaries. Halladay may well be gone after 2014 as well.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I don’t know FC. While I firmly believe that Victorino is gone after this season pretty much no matter what, I’m not so sure about the others. With the Phillies coming up on a new TV deal, I think the influx of massive fresh cash would mean they would be able to afford those massive salaries…..even with them running into luxury tax territory.

• phillyphever - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Victorino’s gone anyway. Utley might take a paycut or retire after 2013 (that knee is not gonna get better anytime soon). Halladay’s gonna be 37 after 2014, so unless he takes a paycut he’s gone. Face it, they have to get this done.

• chadjones27 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I thought Halladay’s 2014 voided after he spent almost 2 months on the disabled list. I sort of remember there being a certain playing time he needed to reach that he can’t now the void’s the last year of his contract. Or was that for 2015? Anyone?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

According to Cots:

2014 option guaranteed with all of the following:
        225 IP in 2013,
        415 IP in 2012-13, and
        Halladay is not on disabled list at end of 2013 season

it’s that second number that may be difficult to reach. ZiPS projects him to finish with 158.1IP the rest of this year with 13 starts left. That puts him at 257IP for next year to reach the 415IP mark. It’s doable for Roy, but he’s never pitched that many innings before.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. I’m merely stating what I believe will happen. On the contrary Cole has more upside at this point than Victorino, Utley and Pence put together.

• chadjones27 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Church, I remember this being posted when Roy went on the DL

Seemed like no 2014 for Roy.

8. sophillyimjersey - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Roy halladay was the worst move the Phils have made. And trading all those prospects for Oswolt was dumb too. I’d take Hamels over Doc any day.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Put down the crack. Halladay was and when heatlhy is the best pitcher in baseball. The Halladay deal was Michael Taylor (who has done nothing), Kyle Drabek (flashes of potential but now recovering from TJ surgery), and the blue chip C prospect D’Arnaud. Phillies make that deal every day of the week. The Oswalt deal really comes down to the horrible trade of Cliff Lee. It essentially cost them Gose to rectify the mistake.

• sophillyimjersey - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I’m allowed to have my opinion,I just haven’t saw the Phils win anything since trading for Doc. Perfect games n no hitters are nice but they dot equal WS rings.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You are, indeed, allowed to have your opinion. I just don’t translate a 2008 WS victory into Hamels being a better pitcher than Halladay. I don’t see how the teams success in the small sample sized post season is anyway relevant to the discussion of who is the better pitcher between the 2.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

The Halladay deal was fine. I’ll trade the catching prospect for 4 great years of Halladay and a chance to win anytime. Drabek hasn’t proven anything yet and now has gone through a second Tommy John. Michael Taylor is what, about 45 years old now? He’s John Mayberry. A guy who has this tool and that tool and every year you wait for him to break out until you realize he’s 2 years away from collecting social security. I’ve been plenty critical of Amaro for some of his moves but the Halladay move isn’t one of them. Hell, they appear to have given up more for Hunter Pence. When Halladay is gone we are going to miss having a real ace to stop losing streaks and at his uninjured worst, maybe have to grind through a 4 earned run “bad start” once in a while. Lee and Hamels are # 1 starters. Halladay is a real “ACE”.

9. Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Just take it Cole. Who needs more money than that anyway?

• chadjones27 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I do.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You really don’t.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Maybe he’s got kids to feed?

• chadjones27 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hey, I gotta feed my family.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Well, that’s a lot of food. do you have 20,000 children?

• chadjones27 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM

No, just one really big one

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM

At this point it’s all about status. He’s already earned enough money to set himself for life even with a lavish lifestyle.

10. xmatt0926x - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

The average value of 6 and 130 isn’t enough. You can’t give Lee $25 million per year and then tell your homegrown star that you’re getting $21 million per year. It is all about status and comparison between other top starters. I will be curious how this goes when he turns this down. Do the Phillies say “we made our best offer and he turned us down” or is it just the opening bid in a longer negotiation. Remember when Lee first left his agent implied that the Phillies threw out an initial unrealistic contract number and then when it was turned down they closed up shop and went for Halladay.

11. greymares - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM

the offer will be 6yrs. 144mil. book-it.

12. muskyhunter2542 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Thats less then what The Brewers are offering Greinke

13. dannythebisforbeast - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Does this Heyman guy get all his info after its reported.

14. schmedley69 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Let’s face it, no one knows what the Phillies are going to do. They are pretty stealth, so all of this speculation is useless, IMO.

15. stan97 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM

They’re getting warmer.

The years sound about right but the $$$ is still light. imo.

Some team will probably give him 6 years with an option for a 7th in the $150 – $175m range.

He might take less to stay with the Phils just so he can continue to pitch with Doc and Lee but I doubt he’s gonna take considerably less.

16. pellypell - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

130 million to work every 5 days and have the Winter off. That’s not enough money, I’ll pass.

17. pellypell - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

130 Million to work every 5 days and have the Winter off? Plus I might be expected to work on a weekend? Pass!

18. jayquintana - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Angels really lucked out with Weaver. Hopefully, as a Dodgers fan, Kershaw will be more like Jeff, then like Cole.

19. schaffershokai - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Do you think his girlfriend makes him do this: http://youtu.be/kogUBtaf_-U

20. rareair23 - Jul 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Tell me again why I went into Engineering?

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3982)