Jul 18, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Owings will undergo elbow surgery after spending the past three months on the disabled list with a forearm injury and manager Bud Black said the procedure will “take care of some of the loose particles and shave down spurs.”
Presumably the operation will delay Owings’ transition to full-time position player at least somewhat, but Black indicated to Jeff Sanders of the North County Times that he’ll eventually be able hit while rehabbing.
Owings was an excellent hitter in college and has batted .283 with a .502 slugging percentage in the majors, albeit in limited and sporadic opportunities.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)