Jul 18, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Owings will undergo elbow surgery after spending the past three months on the disabled list with a forearm injury and manager Bud Black said the procedure will “take care of some of the loose particles and shave down spurs.”
Presumably the operation will delay Owings’ transition to full-time position player at least somewhat, but Black indicated to Jeff Sanders of the North County Times that he’ll eventually be able hit while rehabbing.
Owings was an excellent hitter in college and has batted .283 with a .502 slugging percentage in the majors, albeit in limited and sporadic opportunities.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)