UPDATE: Police officer who yelled racial slurs at Carl Crawford suspended

Jul 18, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox Photo Day Getty Images

UPDATE: The mayor of Leominster has made his findings:

Leominster Police Officer John Perreault has been put on paid leave after an in-house investigation found that he yelled a racial slur at Red Sox player Carl Crawford during a recent minor league baseball game in New Hampshire.

There will be an additional investigation and formal hearings and stuff.

Notable: this is the first time city officias confirmed the identity of the officer in question. Thankfully, it was not the police officer who lost his son last year.

10:30 AMLast week we learned that the guy suspected of yelling racist stuff at Carl Crawford was a police officer from Massachusetts and that the mayor of his town was investigating the alleged incident.  Today we’re going to hear what happened with all of that:

Findings of an investigation into claims that a Leominster police officer directed racist remarks at Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford are expected to be revealed today at a news conference.

Mayor Dean Mazzarella said yesterday afternoon he plans to hold the news conference at 11 this morning to discuss his investigation into the incident, which is alleged to have taken place July 5 before a Portland Sea Dogs minor league game in Manchester, N.H.

More background here.  This one is new to me:

The officer allegedly referred to Crawford as a Monday, which can be a derogatory term for a black person, according to UrbanDictionary.com.

You learn new slurs every day. But I gotta tell ya, if you’re basing your investigation on crap you find in UrbanDictionary, you may be reaching. Anyone have a better explanation for that term than the stuff at UD? Because that’s far less than enlightening. Esoteric slurs, even if they are offensive, tend to have more elaborate etymologies.

(thanks to Big Leagues for continuing to follow this for us)

1. cur68 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I’ve never been called a “Monday”. Been called a lot of bizarre stuff too (growing up in Alberta in the 70’s and 80’s was no friggin picnic, lemme just assure you all of that) but never a day of the week. I think if someone were to call me a day of the week I’d like to be Thursday. I like Thursday’s. Thursdays have no pressure. Also, in my job in Melbourne, Thursday was Diabetic Mother C-Section Day. Those were easy. Kid was never really unwell, was big and fat and needed an IV and sugar. Easy as falling off a log. I heart Thursday.

I’m not sure what’s up with Monday, though. I eagerly await the explanation of things from those more knowledgeable than I in the racist taunts of the day.

• skeleteeth - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Awesome.

• ww2chas - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Watch out – that might be a racist comment! lolololololol

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I could never get the hang of Thursdays.

• nolanwiffle - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Good morning, Mr. Dent.

• number42is1 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

It’s cause everyone hates Mondays.

• sabatimus - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Especially Garfield.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

This just about all I know about Monday.

• skids003 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Thankfully Craig, you didn’t report the other guys name.

2. skids003 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Monday? I’ve never heard that. I thought it was the first day of the work week, where did that come from? I must be getting out of touch?

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

See below . . . because Russell Peters does a good job of exposing the meaning behind it as a social commentary.

3. zakharovsa - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM

But racism doesn’t exist! Crawford is just being a baby! How dare a guy making a lot of money complain about racist comments! There I just saved about 100 stupid comments.

• 18thstreet - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Oh, if only it were that coherent.

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM

missing a sarcasm button or a “lol”

• baseballisboring - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Ha, wishful thinking…

4. realitypolice - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM

A racist cop in Massachusetts? I find that hard to believe.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Oi vey!

That comment was as certain to appear as the Sun rising in the East . . .

As I’ve had to repeat over and over . . . a bigot in New England is the same as a bigot anywhere else.

Except we tend to make a point of holding them accountable in these parts.

• realitypolice - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Sure a bigot is a bigot, you’ve just got 10 times more of them than most places. I can see why you’d be overly sensitive. Google “most racist city in America”. And we’ll see just how accountable this guy is made to held shortly, won’t we?

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

1st, were still awaiting the findings of the investigation to be announced.

2nd, I am overly sensitive. Yeah, guilty as charged. Wanna know why? Because I’m white. And I have traveled this country extensively and lived abroad. I have seen and witnessed racism and bigotry in many different forms. I have been in interracial relationships and I have a friends of varied ethnicities and I’ve listened to their stories. And while bigotry and racism exists in New England – the assertion that its ten times more prevalent here because of some subjective Google search you did is ABSURD.

And while I have been in uncomfortable situations and exchanges with people here in the Northeast . . . the folks in the South – Texas from personal experience and generally speaking Alabama, Mississippi, Carolinas and Georgia tend to cling onto and bizarrely celebrate their racist heritage (the seemingly annual fund raising campaign centered on legalizing the Union Jack being flown at the respective State capitols, for example).

Yet the most open and diverse bigotry I have witnessed is in Europe – the UK specifically loves its white-on-white hate (Scots, Irish and French mostly) though they don’t hesitate to judge based on darker skin pigmentation as well.

3rd, the cop being investigated works for the Leominster PD. The Mayor of Leominster, who would appear to be a Caucasian, proactively opened this investigation because as he put it, Leominster is a multi-racial city with a multi-racial Police force and that the alleged behavior is unacceptable. Meanwhile, there is a now retired Sheriff in Mississippi who decades later, is yet to be arrested, known to be a KKK member, and who everyone knows killed one man and participated in the murder of another to cover up the assault of a black man who was being beaten by a State Senator.

Yeah, you’re right. It’s ten times worse up here in the Northeast.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

If you think Boston is the most racist city in the US, you haven’t spent any time in the south. The state of South Carolina still flies the confederate flag. It was just 5 years ago in Texas that two white men tortured and murdered James Byrd Jr by dragging his body behind their truck while he was still alive, only dying when he went off the road, hit a culvert and was decapitated.

• Matt Aromando - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I Googled “most racist city in America.” The first result is someone from New York ranting about how he hates a particular group of people, people from Boston. That’s a kind of irony, right?

• skids003 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

hey church, if you are going to judge a whole region based on two nutcases, what does that make the area that 12 blacks burned a white kid “in the name of Trayvon?” I mean, really. You can’t stereotype groups of people based on a few nuts.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

12 blacks burned a white kid “in the name of Trayvon?”

Are you talking about the Allen Coon case? Because if so, that was 2 teenagers, not 12. If you are going to make a point, don’t misrepresent the facts.

Second, there’s a huge difference between what teenagers do and what adults do. Does it make it right what happened to that kid, of course not. It’s fucked up and I hope those teenagers are punished with a hate crime (does KS have that statute on the books?).

However, are we really going to argue that the south isn’t more racist, and Texas in particular?

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Gotta agree with bigleagues on this one. I’ve lived in a lot of states and 2 other countries….there are bigots everywhere I’ve been….the biggest difference between the North and South in the US (with respect to this issue) is the frequency of bigots and the response to them. In the South, nothing happens…they don’t see anything wrong with being a bigot, which is why there are so few stories like this one coming from the South. In the northeast, bigots are called out far more frequently…and most are smart enough to know when they can voice their backwards ass opinions and when they can’t.

• underthefish - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM

bigleagues: the Union Jack is the British flag for the Union of England, Scotland, Wales, and North Ireland. The Confederate Battle Flag is what you’re talking about.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Lemme guess…

You’re a southern conservative who takes a special amount of twisted glee in painting the “liberal” northeastern city of Baaahston as racist, and that this somehow proves that LIBERALS are the real racists in America, right?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

You have to be talking about this post:

And nothing says irony like a guy from NY, where the Amadou Diallo and Abner Louima cases happened, commenting on the racism of not being served while in Boston.

Also, Boston people act like elitists towards everyone, not just people of color. Just the same as NYers do (spent years in both, btw so I’ve got plenty of experience).

• skids003 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Good zing aceshigh11, if that’s what you mant to do. I love it how all the liberals up north always try to paint that picture of the south, and frankly, are clueless about life down here. They are still fighting the Civil War 150 years later.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Well, look, people up north are definitely unfair to the south sometimes, but it’s not like there’s NO basis in reality for it.

And it’s not exactly a 150-year timeframe. There are plenty of black people still alive who literally remember life before the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act. It’s not ancient history.

• skids003 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

No, but as far as still fighting the Civil War, that’s almost ancient history.

• Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Right, which is why the confederate flag is still incorporated into many southern state flags and flies over the Capitol building in Columbia, right? I’ve spent quite some time in the South. There are a lot of people who aren’t over the War of Northern Aggression. Until two or three years ago, Ole Miss’ mascot was Colonel Reb and the unofficial end of the fight song was “And the South will rise again!”

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM

skids,

Except of course, that no one in the North is still fighting the Civil War.

We are, however dumbfounded by the factions in the South who continue to fight for and celebrate the Confederate flag.

Although the Tea Party in New Mexico is trying desperately to get into the business of exploiting the Confederate Flag . . .

• underthefish - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM

skids: Northerners don’t have any “Sons of the Union” like southerners do the “Sons of the Confederacy.” And yet northerners are still fighting the Civil War?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

“Lot of guys want to appear to be cops. Gun. Badge. Pretend they’re on TV…”

“A lot of em just want to slam a n*****’s head through a plate glass window.”

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM

If people consider Massachusetts so racist…how did this cop get caught? The people who were in attendance, who also heard the slur, reported him. If Massachusetts is so racists, he would have never been caught.

5. Cyn - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM

But here’s the thing, given the amount of people who read “he was called(a?) Monday” and said “What? How is that a slur?” doesn’t the idea that the guy used it mean he meant it as a slur? I mean, if you don’t know it’s insulting would it ever occur to you to use “Monday” as a slur?

I grew up in a place where if someone called you a “Tuesday woman” it was most definitely an insult. If you don’t know the insult, it wouldn’t mean anything to you. But if you use it, you know what you’re saying. If the guy used “Monday” as an insult, he meant it the way it was received.

6. bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Being called a “Monday” was discussed on the Big Show on WEEI last week.

Apparently comedian Russell Peters, I believe he was part of the Def Jam comedy tour at one time, made it more broadly known in this bit:

Which is probably where Carl Crawford first heard it.

For what it’s worth, Michael Holley who has been in Boston for over a decade as a journalist and now co-host of the Big Show, had never heard of the term before this incident.

The term has been around for a while. I can remember hearing it when I was a kid, but it doesn’t seem that prevalent.

• cur68 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Ah, Russel Peters. The Great Communicator of our generation. Well that explains that. Better get my narrow Monday-ass up and do some work now I guess…

7. eutawstreetblues - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I have never and would never use the term myself, but a friend of my wife’s has used it before in a negative way towards black people. I think the idea behind it is that no one likes Monday’s because that means the weekend’s over and we have to go back to work…so Monday’s are bad, I guess.

Just wanted to confirm that there are people out there who do in fact use this term and it is a real thing that people say in a derogatory way. (Though I don’t use it myself and I’m not a big fan of my wife’s friend)

8. ezthinking - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I think we need Randall to get a “Take Back the Monday” movement going.

Racists steal everything, now they have a day of the week?!

9. El Bravo - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

From now on, I shall refer to all hot women as Fridays. Why? Because everyone loves ‘em.

• kopy - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

We’re gonna have to rename some restaurants…

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You’re being a total dudebro, Bravo. Beware!

• El Bravo - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Chicks, man.

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Not people who work on Saturdays.

10. deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

It’s nice to see that with states and towns so cash-strapped that they’re forced to lay off municipal workers, money- like the taxpayer cash that which was used to finance this investigation, is being spent so wisely. I mean, it’s more important that they fully investigate why some drunken fool might or might not have hurt the feelings of someone making $142 million than, let’s say Firemen or Teachers, right?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Some people spare no expense, no matter how much more in debt it puts “name your governing entity”

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Yeah, you won’t want to make sure people charged within enforcing the law aren’t openly racist…I mean, how could that possibly affect his ability to protect and serve the public?

• nategearhart - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

There’s the salary business again. What difference does it make how much money Crawford makes?

11. Cyn - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

You realize that “drunken fool” is a police officer, right? Because what the town needs is to have one of their cops publicly outed as a racist and then allow him to keep on supposedly protecting ALL citizens.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I could have saved them a whole lot of resources and money. There’s racists everywhere- in every color, sex, religious denomination, and profession. Unless the guy is getting complaints on the job or if he’s proven ineffectual, this whole thing is an exercise in futility. If they fire him, the police union is going to fight it, which will cost the tax payers money. And then he’ll sue, which will cost them even more money. And for what? Because Carl Crawford is so sensitive that he felt compelled to tell the media about what he thought someone in the stands said to him? Seriously- what an incredible waste.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

So we shouldn’t punish people for possibly committing a crime, if it costs people money?

• skids003 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

That’s not what he said. And is this a crime? I mean, really, it’s truly disgusting if true but what is the crime committed? What would he be charged with is what I mean? Lawyers help out here.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

In some European countries he could be charged with a hate crime.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Ugh crime is probably the wrong word, although playing Devil’s Advocate we don’t know exactly what he said.

I should have said against the rules of his job. Point still stands.

• necrondi - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM

What crime?
        Do you live in Europe?
        Maybe dude was saying that Carl Crawford sucks like Monday, because he hasn’t lived up to his contract at all. Maybe he was Crawford sucks because he is black, although that seems to be reaching. If you suck at your job and someone refers to you as something that suck(Monday)you should expect it, not automatically assume it racist. Dude you made 15 million dollars last year and you put up 255/289/405, and you are making 20 mill this year and have played in two MLB games and none at the time of the incident. Earth to Carl: People might be pissed you have played so bad or not played at alland might compare you to other things that are a bummer aka Monday.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Is calling someone a name a crime?

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM

If he had thrown something at Crawford or assaulted him or attempted to assault him in any way, I completely understand this- but think about it- by the time it’s said and done, this whole thing is going to cost what it would take to pay a school full of teachers.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Necrondi,

Allow me to clarify this for you . . .

Although it’s not clear how WCVB in Boston acquired this quote (I’d imagine it was a detail shared at the Leominster Press Conference this morning) this is apparently what Officer Perrault’s young niece was quoted as saying during the investigation:

“He said he was ‘like a Monday,’ like everybody hates him like a Monday,” Perrault’s niece, Cassandra Mateo, said. “I mean, I don’t like getting up on Monday’s myself to go to school.”

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

deathmonkey41:

Yes, it can be. And before you go off half-cocked about the 1st Amendment . . . it’s pretty well established case law that with 1st Amendment rights comes responsibility and accountability for what you say.

This is even more true when it comes to PUBLIC SERVANTS, such as Police Officers. Aside from the fact that they are paid to protect and serve EVERY person – fellow officers must also trust their lives with one another.

And finally, if this incident had occurred in Lowell at a Spinners game, then, YES, Officer Perreault would very likely be facing Massachusetts hate crime charges.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Has nothing to do with first admendment. I’m talking about priorities here. In these bad fiscal times, I’m pretty sure there are more prudent ways to spend money and resources than worrying about a pro athelete being called a name at a game.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

deathmonkey:

You completely missed the point of the investigation. Does it involve a pro athlete being called a slur? Yes.

But it was investigated and the Officer is being disciplined because he is a POLICE OFFICER – A PUBLIC EMPLOYEE who was seen and heard in public calling a Black man a racial slur.

That is not a waste of time and resources. That is the minimum a civil society should do.

• cur68 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I don’t mean to be piling on you deathmonkey, but you seem to be missing the point, no matter how its been explained. The fact is, if a cop had called you, deathmonkey, a racial slur, you’d want that cop fired. Not becasue you were rich or poor, or because you suck at commenting (I mean your slash line on commenting this season is AWFUL) but because its flat out WRONG for representatives of the law to act like that. Crawford’s wealth, slash line, effort level, WHATEVER is meaningless along side that. Sure it’ll cost your society and that community money if things come to suing, but its probably worth it in the larger context of an impartial law enforcement agency.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I repeat- complete waste of time. Sticks and stones. Sticks and stones.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

It was a complete waste of time for Crawford to ever mention it in the first place. What, do you think this is going to correct some great wrong in society? All he’s done is encourage more drunks to yell obnoxious things at him during games because they know they can get to him now.

• necrondi - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

bigleagues – Jul 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Im reading the quote you provided and it indicates to me that he called him a Monday because he sucks. Wouldn’t you hate big name free agent that absolutely sucks. I’am a White Sox fan and believe me, Adam Dunn got a LOT worse last year. This year not so much. If Crawford can put it together maybe dude will call him a Friday.

Nobody can be arrested, not even a police officer for calling someone a Monday alone. You could even drop the N bomb and you will not be arrested. The police officer may face administrative punishment if they can prove that comparing a baseball player that sucks to a day that sucks is racist, but that is it. The “responsibility and accountability” you refer to do not extend to at most hurting somebody feelings and the more likely offending people who live to be offended.

12. homelanddefense - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Good thing this site posted an article from another source (whcih is basically all the sportstalk site does) making wild guesses as to who the cop was. A poor family that lost a baby last year had the spotlight pointed straight at them by conjecture and its a damn shame.

13. hatesycophants - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Just a point of clarification, James Byrd Jr was brutally, savagely murdered in 1998.

Drunk or not, this officer felt comfortable enough to use this slur publicly and out of uniform. What do you suppose his behavior is lije when it’s backed up by the authority of a gun and badge?

Also, what the hell difference does it make if this was the guy whose kid died? Is it acceptable to use ethnic slurs if you’ve suffered a tragic loss? Ridiculous.

14. js20011041 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Beyond the point of whether or not calling someone a “Monday” is suspension worthy, was the officer on duty? If so, then yes, the department has the power to suspend him. If not, then there are huge freedom of speech issues.

• bsbiz - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

No, there aren’t. The First Amendment prohibits the government from prohibiting the speech, not firing you for it.

• js20011041 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Except he works for the government. This isn’t a private company justifying firing him because he affected their business. This is a goverment employee being punished for something that, to my knowledge, occurred while off duty and while he was in no way representing the police department. By definition, that is a government entitiy restricting his free speech.

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Nope, you still don’t get to say/do what you want just because you are off duty. Being a racist is a 24 hr/day gig, it isn’t like he puts on the blues and suddenly becomes a decent guy. If they guy is racist and dumb enough to advertise it, it is in the public’s best interest to NOT give him a gun and authority to enforce his interpretation of the law.

• js20011041 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Paperlions, it is naive to assume that just because he may have those views, that he is incapable of performing his job professionally and upholding the law correctly. Now, if you want to make the argument that someone who would yell a racial slur at a public event is too stupid to hold the job of police officer, you may have an argument. But EVERYONE has biases and likes and dislikes. If you’re going to make this argument, then it would be fair to say that no one can perfom that job admirably. This man is hardly the only racist cop in the world. The only difference between him and another white cop who dislikes blacks, or a black cop that dislikes hispanics, etc, is that with him, the cat is out of the bag.

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Actually, it is naive to think people can lay their biases aside. There are 1000s of years of human history to support my contention that people can not do so. There is also a library’s worth of sociological and anthropological research to support it.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM

js20011041

Cops have less grey between personal and professional conduct than almost any other profession in this country.

They must meet and, if possible, exceed a higher standard of conduct because of the tremendous trust and power that is invested in them.

The Supreme Court has been clear on “Public Free Speech” – you may say whatever you like in public, but everyone should be aware and understand that with some speech comes consequences and accountability.

if you were a Black Police Officer on the Leominster PD and you were placed in a life or death situation with Officer Perreault – isn’t it reasonable that you might have a slight doubt in the back of your head whether or not he would lay his life on the line for you? And what if your superiors were perfectly aware of Perreault’s comments but chose to take no disciplinary action. Would that sit well with you? I highly doubt it.

• homelanddefense - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM

there are moral codes that officers need to adhere to in order to maintain employment. Its not like a normal private job.

• js20011041 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

If there are moral codes that they are using to punish him, then it had better be something in writing, that he signed, that specifically gives the department the ability to punish him for conduct occurring outside of his uniformed police duties. Otherwise, it should not be legal. And that may have been something that he signed as a condition of employment, but that’s not necessarily standard. Personally, I work as a firefighter, and I never signed, or at least I don’t recall signing a code of conduct that gives the department free reign to punish me for legal actions, done outside of duty hours, and out of uniform.

• CJ - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I don’t work in public services and I signed one. It’s standard practice for many organizations.

• CJ - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

not to mention if MA is an at will state, and they are, they can do pretty much whatever they want.

• homelanddefense - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

they have their own bill of rights to work by, police contracts arent like normal jobs. And police officers are basically never “off duty”

• The Rabbit - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM

@js
      If you are talking about criminal prosecution, maybe
      If you are referring to rules of employment, “freedom of speech” isn’t an issue at all, e.g., some journalists are prohibited from campaigning for and donating money to political candidates;
      Large private employers have rules of conduct as a condition of employment. They do not want to be identified with some nitwit who makes slurs publically and is quoted in the media as their employee. It’s unfortunate it takes the profit motive to encourage people to be good citizens, but….hey…. whatever works.

15. mamsy2000 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Wow! This is nuts. Let’s hear ALL the facts before we start calling this cop a racist. It’s often too easy to call a cop a racist before hearing all the facts. If he did indeed say something to the effect of I hate Crawford like I hate Mondays, then I have to question the legitimacy of this complaint.
    Let’s not get too sensitive about the subject just yet. Remember when Howard Cosell said on Monday Night Football, “Look at that little monkey run”. Cosell used that term many times and often referred to white players as monkeys as well. Cosell was fired and his name was sullied.
    My point is, before everybody get their panties in a knot, let’s hear the whole story.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Apparently the investigators assigned to the case, his Supervisors and the Mayor of Leominster have heard the whole story and that story contained sufficient information for the Officer to be suspended pending a disciplinary hearing. Of course, I’m pretty certain that they need to be satisfied enough with the findings to take disciplinary action as they will inevitably have to answer to the Police Union and typically Mayors and Chiefs like to avoid that when unnecessary.

But apparently you standard of proof is above and beyond the process being conducted in Leominster, so more power to you.

As for me? Yeah I thought Cosell made an unfortunate statement that came back to haunt him even though very bright guys who knew him, such as Ali didn’t think there was a bigoted bone in Cosell’s body . . . but I’ve heard enough in regard to the behavior by this cop to be satisfied that the proper course of action is being taken.

Is he a ‘racist’ in the purest sense of the word? Maybe or maybe not. But cops, by necessity, are willingly granted the public’s trust – and with that trust and honor comes immense responsibility and power. That power and trust can be and sometimes is abused and misused, placing cops under far more scrutiny than most other professions.

So far as personal conduct goes, cops have very little grey area between personal and professional conduct. And this incident certainly does not fall within that grey area.

In any event, if Officer Perreault is not a racist in the strictest sense of the word he is at minimum most certainly an unfortunate moron.

16. artemusprime - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Im just wondering what day it was that the “racial slur” “Monday” was used.

17. sawxalicious - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I don’t agree with people spouting off racist remarks, especially in a public setting… But if this guy called Crawford a”Monday.” I think it’s a stretch to say he was using racist language just because a website says it’s racist. I’m pretty sure most people on this site would have never thought of “Monday” as a derogatory term for an African- American. I think it’s possible that because this guy was white and he was yelling at a black guy, he will be seen as a racist no matter what. Maybe he is, I don’t know. But maybe he was just hating’ on a dude that he thought was extremely underachieving on a huge contract. Personally, I’m a Red Sox fan and think it’s way too early to pass judgement on CC’s contract ( Carlos Beltran’s first year with the Mets sucked, but he figured it out). I think regardless of if the guy’s a racist or not, he’s gonna sue his police department for any pay ( or job) he loses, and he will win. Just a clarification for the poster that said the cop committed a “hate crime” – I think you need actual criminal activity to go along with racial bias to have a hate crime…I don’t think the cop was alleged to have thrown any batteries at Cc or done anything else other than make a jackass out of himself.

18. billobrienschindimple - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

bigleagues

Well reasoned and stated argument.

Except that the Union Jack is the flag of the UK, not the South.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, sometimes I type too fast and don’t check my work. Thanks for that correction :-\

19. dontcarewhatusay - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Are we including black racist in the “most racist city in America” or just white racist? I’ve lived in the south for 10 years and let me tell you there are many, many racist blacks.
    But, of course, black racism doesn’t make for front page news, does it…..

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Considering those who identify themselves as black make up 12.6% of the US population (2010 census), there’d have to be a significant portion to even come close to the number of racist white people.

20. yarguy - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Not only does “everyone hate Mondays”, but Monday sounds a lot like monkey, a rather notorious racist term – which is exactly why Monday works so well.

21. vallewho - Jul 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I’m sure the IA keyboard jockeys were busy pecking at UrbanDictionary during the investigation…hmmm, maybe not. What a moronic thing to write, even for a blogger.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3131)