Jul 18, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: The mayor of Leominster has made his findings:
Leominster Police Officer John Perreault has been put on paid leave after an in-house investigation found that he yelled a racial slur at Red Sox player Carl Crawford during a recent minor league baseball game in New Hampshire.
There will be an additional investigation and formal hearings and stuff.
Notable: this is the first time city officias confirmed the identity of the officer in question. Thankfully, it was not the police officer who lost his son last year.
10:30 AM: Last week we learned that the guy suspected of yelling racist stuff at Carl Crawford was a police officer from Massachusetts and that the mayor of his town was investigating the alleged incident. Today we’re going to hear what happened with all of that:
Findings of an investigation into claims that a Leominster police officer directed racist remarks at Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford are expected to be revealed today at a news conference.
Mayor Dean Mazzarella said yesterday afternoon he plans to hold the news conference at 11 this morning to discuss his investigation into the incident, which is alleged to have taken place July 5 before a Portland Sea Dogs minor league game in Manchester, N.H.
More background here. This one is new to me:
The officer allegedly referred to Crawford as a Monday, which can be a derogatory term for a black person, according to UrbanDictionary.com.
You learn new slurs every day. But I gotta tell ya, if you’re basing your investigation on crap you find in UrbanDictionary, you may be reaching. Anyone have a better explanation for that term than the stuff at UD? Because that’s far less than enlightening. Esoteric slurs, even if they are offensive, tend to have more elaborate etymologies.
(thanks to Big Leagues for continuing to follow this for us)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (164)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (133)