Jul 18, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
UPDATE: The mayor of Leominster has made his findings:
Leominster Police Officer John Perreault has been put on paid leave after an in-house investigation found that he yelled a racial slur at Red Sox player Carl Crawford during a recent minor league baseball game in New Hampshire.
There will be an additional investigation and formal hearings and stuff.
Notable: this is the first time city officias confirmed the identity of the officer in question. Thankfully, it was not the police officer who lost his son last year.
10:30 AM: Last week we learned that the guy suspected of yelling racist stuff at Carl Crawford was a police officer from Massachusetts and that the mayor of his town was investigating the alleged incident. Today we’re going to hear what happened with all of that:
Findings of an investigation into claims that a Leominster police officer directed racist remarks at Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford are expected to be revealed today at a news conference.
Mayor Dean Mazzarella said yesterday afternoon he plans to hold the news conference at 11 this morning to discuss his investigation into the incident, which is alleged to have taken place July 5 before a Portland Sea Dogs minor league game in Manchester, N.H.
More background here. This one is new to me:
The officer allegedly referred to Crawford as a Monday, which can be a derogatory term for a black person, according to UrbanDictionary.com.
You learn new slurs every day. But I gotta tell ya, if you’re basing your investigation on crap you find in UrbanDictionary, you may be reaching. Anyone have a better explanation for that term than the stuff at UD? Because that’s far less than enlightening. Esoteric slurs, even if they are offensive, tend to have more elaborate etymologies.
(thanks to Big Leagues for continuing to follow this for us)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)