Jul 19, 2012, 9:47 PM EST
Brett Gardner has been trying to come back from a right elbow injury for three months. And now he’ll likely have to wait until 2013 to play another major league game.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, the Yankees announced this evening that Gardner will undergo surgery next week to remove inflamed tissue from the elbow and is likely to miss the rest of the season. The surgery will be performed by Yankees team doctor Christopher Ahmad.
Gardner hasn’t played since April 17 due to the injury. He tried to ramp things up multiple times, even going on two rehab assignments, but the discomfort in the elbow lingered. His latest setback came after he faced live pitching over the weekend.
The Yankees have relied on a combination of 40-year-old Raul Ibanez and 35-year-old Andruw Jones in left field during Gardner’s absence. While that certainly isn’t the way Yankees general manager Brian Cashman drew it up during the offseason, they seem to be doing just fine. Heck, even Dewayne Wise has played well in a small sample. Still, Cashman figures to keep an eye out for improvements in the coming days.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)