Jul 19, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
Brett Gardner has been trying to come back from a right elbow injury for three months. And now he’ll likely have to wait until 2013 to play another major league game.
According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, the Yankees announced this evening that Gardner will undergo surgery next week to remove inflamed tissue from the elbow and is likely to miss the rest of the season. The surgery will be performed by Yankees team doctor Christopher Ahmad.
Gardner hasn’t played since April 17 due to the injury. He tried to ramp things up multiple times, even going on two rehab assignments, but the discomfort in the elbow lingered. His latest setback came after he faced live pitching over the weekend.
The Yankees have relied on a combination of 40-year-old Raul Ibanez and 35-year-old Andruw Jones in left field during Gardner’s absence. While that certainly isn’t the way Yankees general manager Brian Cashman drew it up during the offseason, they seem to be doing just fine. Heck, even Dewayne Wise has played well in a small sample. Still, Cashman figures to keep an eye out for improvements in the coming days.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)