Jul 19, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Melky Cabrera wasn’t all that popular in Atlanta after his dismal, one-year stint there. He’s less popular now.
Last night, during the Giants 9-4 win over the Braves, Cabrera did some sort of pelvic thrust choppy taunting thing after Gregor Blanco hit a home run. Earlier in the game he had been making some weird gesture to the fans in left field and acted like he was going to throw balls to them but didn’t. According to Andrew Baggarly of CSN BayArea.com, he also made a hand gesture in the sixth inning when Jason Heyward didn’t try to tag from second base on a fly ball to left field.
After witnessing all of that, Chipper Jones wasn’t exactly happy:
“That’s Melky, and that’s why he’s not here anymore … He got a little happy when I think (Gregor) Blanco hit the home run. That won’t be forgotten.”
Well, he’s also not there anymore because he totally mailed in his one season with the Braves, showing up woefully out of shape and playing lazy, sloppy baseball. He got his head on straight since he went to the Royals last year, getting in good shape and playing hard and effectively ever since.
But I’m sure the Atlanta fans were giving him the business for his play in 2010. That he decided to taunt like that shows that he hasn’t completely matured since 2010. Which is a shame, because his game certainly has and he should probably let it do the talking.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (75)