Jul 19, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Melky Cabrera wasn’t all that popular in Atlanta after his dismal, one-year stint there. He’s less popular now.
Last night, during the Giants 9-4 win over the Braves, Cabrera did some sort of pelvic thrust choppy taunting thing after Gregor Blanco hit a home run. Earlier in the game he had been making some weird gesture to the fans in left field and acted like he was going to throw balls to them but didn’t. According to Andrew Baggarly of CSN BayArea.com, he also made a hand gesture in the sixth inning when Jason Heyward didn’t try to tag from second base on a fly ball to left field.
After witnessing all of that, Chipper Jones wasn’t exactly happy:
“That’s Melky, and that’s why he’s not here anymore … He got a little happy when I think (Gregor) Blanco hit the home run. That won’t be forgotten.”
Well, he’s also not there anymore because he totally mailed in his one season with the Braves, showing up woefully out of shape and playing lazy, sloppy baseball. He got his head on straight since he went to the Royals last year, getting in good shape and playing hard and effectively ever since.
But I’m sure the Atlanta fans were giving him the business for his play in 2010. That he decided to taunt like that shows that he hasn’t completely matured since 2010. Which is a shame, because his game certainly has and he should probably let it do the talking.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8