Chipper Jones has words for Melky Cabrera after some pelvic thrusting taunting nonsense

Jul 19, 2012, 8:20 AM EST

San Francisco Giants v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Melky Cabrera wasn’t all that popular in Atlanta after his dismal, one-year stint there. He’s less popular now.

Last night, during the Giants 9-4 win over the Braves, Cabrera did some sort of pelvic thrust choppy taunting thing after Gregor Blanco hit a home run. Earlier in the game he had been making some weird gesture to the fans in left field and acted like he was going to throw balls to them but didn’t. According to Andrew Baggarly of CSN BayArea.com, he also made a hand gesture in the sixth inning when Jason Heyward didn’t try to tag from second base on a fly ball to left field.

After witnessing all of that, Chipper Jones wasn’t exactly happy:

“That’s Melky, and that’s why he’s not here anymore … He got a little happy when I think (Gregor) Blanco hit the home run. That won’t be forgotten.”

Well, he’s also not there anymore because he totally mailed in his one season with the Braves, showing up woefully out of shape and playing lazy, sloppy baseball.  He got his head on straight since he went to the Royals last year, getting in good shape and playing hard and effectively ever since.

But I’m sure the Atlanta fans were giving him the business for his play in 2010.  That he decided to taunt like that shows that he hasn’t completely matured since 2010. Which is a shame, because his game certainly has and he should probably let it do the talking.

1. acdc363 - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Ain’t nothing wrong with a little pelvic thrusting!

• ajcardsfan - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Especially if you associate with people with names like Dr. Frankenfurter

• purnellmeagrejr - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM

No wonder the Braves fans don’t like him. THey had to give up Javier Vazquez to get him and as we alll know Vzquez went on to be an Ace for the Yanks!

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

It’s amazing, you could pen a story about the impending extinction of the Australian Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombat, and a Yankees fan will some how make a connection to their team.

• ditto65 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Yeah, because it is such a stretch to link Melky to the Yankees when talking about his time with the Braves. I mean he had played with exactly zero other teams between his employment with both clubs.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Just pointing out clinical compulsion is all.

• henryd3rd - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Please don’t remind me of that trade. I can still see Johnny Damon’s home run ball landing in the upper deck of Yankee Stadium and the Yankees’ season coming to an abrupt end.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

The Melkman delivers!!

2. foxrun612 - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Melky’s stint with the Braves summed up with one play:

• StottsEra - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:58 AM

i tend to think it’s http://youtu.be/exTW2yH0vh4

• kiwicricket - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM

“Looked like a wet bar of soap. If you have ever tried to throw a wet bar of soap in the shower”

Cant remember if I have or not, but the commentator seems adamant it’s a splitting image.

• brohancruyff - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

It sounds like that was Kevin Millar, and I’d bet my house he’s the kind of guy who’d peg you with a bar of soap in the clubhouse showers.

• nightman13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Don’t forget Thom Brenaman’s (sp?) super forced horse laugh. FOX has the worst lineup of announcers ever assembled. It’s like a Justice League of all Aquamen.

• bbil2012 - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

See! This is why Manny was always in position to make the cut-off!

3. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Sounds to me like a plunking is in order.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Unfortunately I’m sure that’s what Hudson will do today. I’d rather they just strike his ass out four times.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM

What about strike his ass out 3 times and plunk him in the ass once?

• ditto65 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Easy, Good Doctor. We know where Craig stands on plunking. We do NOT need that soap box brought out again.

• Kevin S. - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Why put him on base?

4. fat4jc - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Surely Chipper isn’t talking about this… (00:26 mark)

• ceadderman - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM

If Chipper is talking about that I’ve lost some respect for him.

If you don’t like it do something about it when you’re taking your cuts. I think if anything it speaks to Chipper’s maturity that he has a problem with that. Now obviously I couldn’t see his hands when he did that but since Jones didn’t say anything about his hands I’ve got to assume that he’s making much ado about nothing. He’s just not happy the Braves have given up 2 in grand fashion and taking his frustration out on a guy that admittedly didn’t have a solid season for the Braves. He is now and I think Jones pointing at the Melkman is below the standard to which he was saying Cabrerra should exhibit.

It sure isn’t the standard that I’d been accustomed to seeing from Jones all these years.

If you don’t like it, do something about it in the box score. A little exuberance on Melky’s part isn’t at all bad. Someone should send Chipper some Sour Patch candies. :)

• ct14flyers - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Haha I’m pretty sure Chipper doesn’t care what you think of his maturity. And Chipper is allowed to do what he wants I’m sure if he needs your advice he will ask.

• bduronio - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

He hit a two run homer

• bduronio - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Sorry, it was a solo shot. Point stands.

• ceadderman - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Just like Melky gives a flying fart what Chipper thinks of him right? :p

5. yankeesgameday - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Just Melky being Melky.

6. Ari Collins - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:11 AM

That’s right, man. You don’t $@&! with the Melky.

7. jonirocit - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Take it easy you don’t know what kinda racist crap Larry’s boys were yelling at him out there in left and he proly got a little heated . I’m sure he violated some little code and the good old boys will work it out but if it gets a Lil to rough I tend to think bumgardner will make sure Hudson doesn’t get away with anything . So if hudson want to hit melky we are gonna have a brawl in the atl this morning . If I were Larry I’d make sure and tell my boys not to charge on bumgardner .

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Well, that was stupid.

• bravojawja - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I assume you’re playing the race card because this is Atlanta, home of Martin Luther King, Jr, and John Lewis. Where the most popular Brave of all time is Hank Aaron. (Turner Field, by the way, is at 755 Hank Aaron Dr. About a mile north, at the capitol building, a road called MLK Dr crosses it.) One of the most popular Braves now, and a face of the franchise, is Jason Heyward.

So take your racist bullshit back to whatever Yankee town you’re from and shove it up your ass.

• ceadderman - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I’m all for not playing the race card. But you don’t have to use that language to communicate the ignorance of the person that brought up the issue.

This is the 21st Century after all. I’d like to think that we’ve come a long way from those times. But it’s not like the KKK is dead an buried. They’re still around. Dixie is not about hate and it’s sad how many ignorant people there are who believe that the Confederate flag symbolizes such things. All because some people do bad things while flying it.

I wonder though, are we all serial killers if one flies the US flag in his home? I should hope not.

Anyway… let’s play nice on this issue. You can’t convince an ignorant person of their ignorance when you use intimidation as an argument. ;)

• Kevin S. - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Oh don’t give me that shit that it symbolizes southern pride or whatnot. It symbolizes treason, racism, and oppression. It’s been used to oppress and discriminate against anybody who is different for a century and a half. Seriously, just stop.

• teambringitstrong - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Um, don’t give me that BS about home of MLK, etc. Atlanta by definition is still VERY segregated. Just b/c they have a FEW names of Black people doesn’t mean its a diverse utopia. It is STILL RACIST and you people who think otherwise condone it!! So take THAT and shove it up YOUR ass!!

• buccaneerz78 - Jul 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM

And I guess I’m a racist because I get my grocery’s at the Winn Dixie grocery store instead of Publix. “American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God….. God Bless Dixie”

• bravojawja - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Hey “bringitstrong”: What the hell are you talking about “by definition”? I only mentioned a “few” names because nobody has the time to read all the names I could have mentioned, black and white.

Actually — I’m just going to stop feeding this troll. I don’t know where it’s from or where it gets off coming up with this crap.

I’ll just assume it’s a disgruntled Phillies fan. ;)

8. temporarilyexiled - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM

The Atlanta fans (who lack the class of the team they claim to support) started all of this. That Melky gave it back to them…the big whatever. And Melky got his karmic comeuppance when he made the error. The rest of this is just harmless swagger. If Chipper and his gang choose to take it to the next level, so be it. But there’ll be two country hardballers working later today. Craig, I know this is your team, but do you really want to see a potentially harmful brawl? Let’s all just move on…

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I stated above, quite clearly, that I do not want to see a brawl. I abhor pitchers intentionally hitting batter, under any circumstance.

But I think it’s unfair to say that the fans started it. Melky is hated by Braves fans because he showed up to camp in 2010 in crappy shape and was listless and lazy all season long. Braves fans do not have a reputation for being hard on anyone. To the contrary, actually, they’re too docile most of the time. That Cabrera riled them up a bit is saying a lot. He did the one thing that fans of any team have a right to be upset about: he didn’t give a shit.

• ditto65 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

They are so docile that half the time they can’t be bothered with showing up at the ball park.

• LPad - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I’m a Braves fan but honestly I wish we would boo the guys on the team that are out of shape now (like hinske), not the one’s that left two years ago. Heck, it would be nice if we actually booed the star players from the other teams (other than Melky obviously) instead of cheer them on.

• temporarilyexiled - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Melky has matured as a player, and that should be enough. The fans took the low road, and Melky joined in. I’ve nothing but admiration for the Braves, but I wouldn’t describe the fans as being hard on people, so much as illustrating the old joke: “Is it ignorance or apathy? I don’t know and I don’t care.” I’m pretty mad at Carlos Beltran, but I still think he’s a great player. Maybe the fans should just get over it and show the same class as their team.

• bravojawja - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I’m getting sick of the “Braves fans don’t show up” narrative. This season, the Braves are in the top half in attendance, ahead of the Mets and White Sox, two teams in much, much bigger markets. (I’d mention Miami and their new stadium, but we all know better.)

And enough with the “docile” crap, too. Would you rather every team act like Yankee/Phillie fans? I was at the game Tuesday, when Jar Jar melted down in the 4th. Fans weren’t yelling at him – they were yelling at Fredi to take him out because they knew he was toast. Why boo the guy when it’s not (entirely) his fault?

Maybe we expect too much from this team after being so good for so long. It’s too bad no other fans have had that same experience so they can make any intelligent comments about it.

• ditto65 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Historically the Braves fans have been docile and absent. They couldn’t even sell out playoff games.

2012: 14th, behind the likes of Colorado and Minnesota.

Sorry, but if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is a docile fanbase often absent from games.

9. heathater4lifeson - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Are u telling me that a-rods best friend is a d bag??? Didn’t see that one coming

10. sonoco - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Looking forward to a Gigante sweep today! Let’s go Bumgarner!

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Remember when we were saying that baseball needed a villain like Bryce Harper, who was blowing kisses at opposing pitchers? Immature, yes, but fun, and coming from a very good player it can sort of stand up. It looks like Melky could be that guy. Let’s all sit back and love the hate.

12. smcgaels1997 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Grow up Chipper..expect more from a HOF vet. It’s a game

13. realgone2 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I saw exactly what Chipper was talking about. Melk dud did the pro wrestling NWO/DX crotch chop thing. How 15 years ago, Melky. I’d prefer if they just crushed the Giants today, but eh if they are losing plunk him.

14. oldpaddy - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I bet Melky and Albert Belle would’ve gotten along like two peas in a pod.

15. seahawks19081 - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Larry won’t forget this.

16. randygnyc - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Lack of maturity and lazy play is what got him shipped out of NY. He was/is very close to Cano. They were very worried those attributes would be a detriment by rubbing off on Cano. He’s gone on to put up some very nice numbers. Cano too!!!

17. badintent - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Melky blew his chance to be the everyday Yankee Center field because he was never in top shape and was immature.We talking about Joe D,
    The Mick, Bob Mercer territory. I’m happy for him now that he is having a great year but he wasted many years to turn his career around. Most guys would have been shipped to AAA(like Man Ram) years ago.

18. xpensivewinos - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Gee Larry, can you and your disgusting yellow teeth give me directions to Hooters?

19. eastcoastcynic - Jul 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

When I saw the headline for the piece about the pelvic thrusting, I initially thought that Chipper had probably said that Melky isn’t his type. I was relieved to read that he simply expressed his general disapproval.

20. stevem7 - Jul 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Gee if Chipper doesn’t like it I guess he should just try and play better. He’s had his time, leave the stage gracefully CHIP, before you’re perceived to be what Melky was thrusting at.

21. reptar24 - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Of you don’t know the gesture Melky did, I got twwwwwoooo words for ya!

22. schmedley69 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I’ve hated him since the 2009 World Series when he kept doing the “fake throwing a ball” thing to Phillies fans. Someone needs to drill this turd.

23. pantherpro - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Atlanta you are a sorry redneck southern city with zero character! Melky is smiling because he is happy to get away from you racist chimps! Go Giants! We love you Melky! Chipper you are an old sorry southern moron!

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Bruce Bochy, manager of the Giants, was raised and graduated high school from a town about an hour away from where Chipper Jones grew up.

Buster Posey is from Leesburg, Georgia.

Brandon Belt is from Nacogdoches, Texas

Matt Cain is from Dothan, Alamaba.

Should we go on, or do just want to save everyone some time and admit that you’re a friggin’ moron?

24. pantherpro - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Hey Craig,

We admit we have some southern trash on our team! Your point?

25. skerney - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Melky and Blanco do that pelvic thing everyday, Craig. Don’t be so touchy. It’s not about you.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4644)