Jul 19, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Melky Cabrera wasn’t all that popular in Atlanta after his dismal, one-year stint there. He’s less popular now.
Last night, during the Giants 9-4 win over the Braves, Cabrera did some sort of pelvic thrust choppy taunting thing after Gregor Blanco hit a home run. Earlier in the game he had been making some weird gesture to the fans in left field and acted like he was going to throw balls to them but didn’t. According to Andrew Baggarly of CSN BayArea.com, he also made a hand gesture in the sixth inning when Jason Heyward didn’t try to tag from second base on a fly ball to left field.
After witnessing all of that, Chipper Jones wasn’t exactly happy:
“That’s Melky, and that’s why he’s not here anymore … He got a little happy when I think (Gregor) Blanco hit the home run. That won’t be forgotten.”
Well, he’s also not there anymore because he totally mailed in his one season with the Braves, showing up woefully out of shape and playing lazy, sloppy baseball. He got his head on straight since he went to the Royals last year, getting in good shape and playing hard and effectively ever since.
But I’m sure the Atlanta fans were giving him the business for his play in 2010. That he decided to taunt like that shows that he hasn’t completely matured since 2010. Which is a shame, because his game certainly has and he should probably let it do the talking.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 17
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)