Cody Ross plays hero as Red Sox top White Sox

Jul 19, 2012, 11:13 PM EST

Cody Ross Getty Images

Cody Ross badly wanted a multiyear deal as a free agent over the winter. The Red Sox probably wish they had given one.

Ross’s 16th homer of the season was a three-run shot off White Sox closer Addison Reed in the bottom of the ninth Thursday, giving the Red Sox all of their runs in a 3-1 win.

It was Ross’s third three-run homer in two days. He’s scored 44 runs and driven in 50 despite being limited to 63 games this season. Last year, he had 14 homers, 54 runs scored and 52 RBI in 121 games for the Giants.

As true to his usual norms, most of Ross’s production has come against lefties, as he’s hit them at an outstanding .328/.410/.836 clip with nine homers this season. However, he’s been plenty solid while getting more time against righties that originally expected, with Wednesday’s homer giving him seven in 153 at-bats and raising his average to .248.

Ross has also become a fan favorite at Fenway, with 11 of his homers coming at home. He seems to like Boston as much as it likes him, so one wonders if the Red Sox will try sign him to an extension before the end of the season. He’s making a modest $3 million this year, down from $6.3 million in his final year with the Giants. If he’s willing to do a two-year, $12 million deal, the Red Sox could forget the luxury-tax ramifications and go ahead and lock him up.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Hats off to youngster, (he’s older than me) Jose Quintana for pitching brilliant through eight. Threw tons of strikes and handcuffed many Red Sox bats throughout the night.

Stating the obvious when I say Ross was a great, cheap pickup that has helped an injury-plagued outfield. Great (and very impressive) 24 hours for Cody Ross.

2. randygnyc - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM

“When Ross crossed home plate, closer Alfredo Aceves showered him with a bucket of Gatorade.

“I needed something with some color,” said Aceves, who picked up his first win of the year. “It’s an exciting way to win.”

Sorry to say Ace, if you’re looking for “color”, you’re in the wrong town.

• itsallniceonice - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Loser

• bozosforall - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:59 AM

The only losers that I see root for the team that is almost 10 games back of the Yankees in the AL East.

• bbgraf08 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

So bozo, the implication from that statement would mean you don’t root for your teams when they aren’t doing well. Front runner loser. Get a life.

• crispybasil - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Interesting – you’ve obviously never stepped foot in Boston.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Then it’s the perfect town for you, ‘bagger.

• drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Man, you’re absolutely gutless. “Look at me, I’ll try to crush the walkoff thread before it starts, ‘cuz I’m awesome, and no one can get to me, because I’m a cowardly internet troll.”

• drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM

As an experiment, I checked the nationality and skin color of the people on my T commute this week. If white skin was a majority, it wasn’t by much. Boston is absolutely cosmopolitan now, and the majority of light-skinned individuals don’t look down upon the darker-skinned ones.

In short, you’re an idiot.

• psousa1 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

oooohhh aren’t you edgy………………….

• jimeejohnson - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM

bozo’s ratio of thumbs up to thumbs down reflects what a pathetic, jerk he is.

3. bozosforall - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Cody Roidss strikes again.

• drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Spoken like a true Pedro Gomez.

If this is your angle, I give you Alex Rodriguez.

• bozosforall - Jul 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Former Texas Ranger Alex Rodriguez? Because that was when he tested positive. The same time that both Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz tested positive while being members of the Red Sox.

4. bozosforall - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:29 AM

$12 million would sure buy him a whole lot of PEDs, especially with the Red Sox volume discount that the PED dealer gives the team.

• Old Gator - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:54 AM

You’re beating this joke to death, bozos. Why not rag on something else for aa change – Kevin Youkilis’ excuse for a face, for example?

• thetruth1313 - Jul 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM

It really is sad in Bozos case, when he only has one thing in life to hang on to. But to each his own.

• bozosforall - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Why should I give Youk grief for his looks? Besides having nothing to do with his baseball performance, his ugly mug still is getting him more coot hie than you will ever see, Gator.

• Old Gator - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Oh, I had more than my share of that during my squandered youth, I assure you. Hell, even at my age I’m still sore.

As far as Yucchhh’s looks, remember: this is the guy who came in second in a beauty contest to a Muscovy duck.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Ya know, even for a troll, you figure you’d at least avoid the roids thing with how many Yankees have been connected to PED’s

• drewzducks - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM

You mean the NY Backacnees ? There’s a reason Brian McNamee got a 2000 World Series share. Clemens, Pettitte, Grimsley, Giambino, Knoblauch, Canseco…it’s a who’s who of steroid cheaters and degenerates. And that’s not including Polonia the diddler and Leyritz the drunken killer.

Pride of the Yankees.

• bozosforall - Jul 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Funny how yo Boston idiots had no problem accusing Yankees of using PEDs, but cry foul whenever Red Sox players get accused of the same thing. Hypocrites every one of you.

5. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Unreal. A swing made for Fenway.

6. aceshigh11 - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Hey, bozo…how are you able to post on this site?

The Denver PD actually gave you internet access after your murderous, psychotic rampage in the movie theater last night?

Better get a good psychiatrist and plead insanity. I’ll be a character witness to what a mentally fucked-up piece of shit you are.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Okay sure the guy can be a dingbat, but comparing him to a mass murder is neither A) Apt or B) Funny. Your post just made me flinch, veeeery bad taste my friend

• aceshigh11 - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM

It was certainly in bad taste, but this guy irritates the SHIT out of me, and pretty much everyone else on this board.

I don’t know why Craig hasn’t banned him yet. He’s a cancer who is capable of singlehandedly rendering this site unreadable…

…which is a shame, because there are so many cool, knowledgeable people here.

So I do apologize to you and anyone else I’ve offended. I let my anger get the best of me and stooped to his level.

7. drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Have you guys heard the Harrelson call? It’s hard to hear, because he says virtually nothing. Ross shuts him up for a minute and seven seconds. It’s priceless.

• 18thstreet - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM

You know, I’ve hated the White Sox for a while now, and I could never figure out why. (I know why I hate most of the teams I hate: it’s to piss off Randy and Bozos.) I think this is the explanation: when bad things happen to them, Hawk Harrelson shuts up. Ergo, I root for bad things to happen to the White Sox.

8. hushbrother - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Probably depends on Papi’s future with the Sox. If he doesn’t come back next year, then yes, Ross would be an ok replacement. Otherwise I think signing him to an extension would clog up their outfield too much in the years to come.

• 18thstreet - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM

They need quality right-handed bats. I wouldn’t be shocked if they overpay to keep him. Other than Pedroia, he’s the only quality righty they have.

9. psousa1 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Roger Clemens, Andy Pettite, Chuck Knoblauch, Chad Curtis, Gary Sheffield, Alex Rodgriguez, Jason Giambi

In a separate category: Darly Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Steve Howe………….

Much like the Steelers of the 70’s – a drug fueled dynasty.

• 18thstreet - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Anyone who believes his team is somehow pure when it comes to this discuss is deluding himself. There were steroid users on every team. We know about the Yankees because Randomoski (sp?) was a key witness for the Mitchell Report. Could have happened to any team.

I’d like to add: Bozos, you’re an idiot.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

At least he named himself appropriately: bozo! He just needs to add Dickweed Loser to be a bit more accurate.

10. steveohho - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Looking at Boston’s run differential, if this team gets all of its starters on the field and their pitching improves a bit, this team will be tough to beat.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3279)
  2. J. Kang (3109)
  3. C. McGehee (2824)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2809)
  5. J. Upton (2809)