Jul 19, 2012, 6:39 PM EDT
It looks like the Cubs are preparing for an inevitable Ryan Dempster trade.
The team today acquired right-hander Justin Germano from the Red Sox for cash considerations and scratched Casey Coleman from his start for Triple-A Iowa.
It’s assumed that Coleman would be promoted to pitch tomorrow against the Cardinals if a Dempster trade gets done before then.
Germano, who was designated for assignment by Boston earlier this week, was 9-4 with a 2.40 ERA and a 72/13 K/BB ratio in 105 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket this season. The veteran right-hander could soak up innings at the back of the rotation or in middle relief once the Cubs trade their prized pitchers.
Coleman made 16 relief appearances for the Cubs earlier this season, but he started eight games in 2010 and 17 last year. The 25-year-old is 7-12 with a 5.70 ERA in 25 starts and 22 relief appearances overall for the club.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)