Jul 19, 2012, 6:39 PM EDT
It looks like the Cubs are preparing for an inevitable Ryan Dempster trade.
The team today acquired right-hander Justin Germano from the Red Sox for cash considerations and scratched Casey Coleman from his start for Triple-A Iowa.
It’s assumed that Coleman would be promoted to pitch tomorrow against the Cardinals if a Dempster trade gets done before then.
Germano, who was designated for assignment by Boston earlier this week, was 9-4 with a 2.40 ERA and a 72/13 K/BB ratio in 105 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket this season. The veteran right-hander could soak up innings at the back of the rotation or in middle relief once the Cubs trade their prized pitchers.
Coleman made 16 relief appearances for the Cubs earlier this season, but he started eight games in 2010 and 17 last year. The 25-year-old is 7-12 with a 5.70 ERA in 25 starts and 22 relief appearances overall for the club.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)