Jul 19, 2012, 6:39 PM EST
It looks like the Cubs are preparing for an inevitable Ryan Dempster trade.
The team today acquired right-hander Justin Germano from the Red Sox for cash considerations and scratched Casey Coleman from his start for Triple-A Iowa.
It’s assumed that Coleman would be promoted to pitch tomorrow against the Cardinals if a Dempster trade gets done before then.
Germano, who was designated for assignment by Boston earlier this week, was 9-4 with a 2.40 ERA and a 72/13 K/BB ratio in 105 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket this season. The veteran right-hander could soak up innings at the back of the rotation or in middle relief once the Cubs trade their prized pitchers.
Coleman made 16 relief appearances for the Cubs earlier this season, but he started eight games in 2010 and 17 last year. The 25-year-old is 7-12 with a 5.70 ERA in 25 starts and 22 relief appearances overall for the club.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)