Jul 19, 2012, 6:39 PM EDT
It looks like the Cubs are preparing for an inevitable Ryan Dempster trade.
The team today acquired right-hander Justin Germano from the Red Sox for cash considerations and scratched Casey Coleman from his start for Triple-A Iowa.
It’s assumed that Coleman would be promoted to pitch tomorrow against the Cardinals if a Dempster trade gets done before then.
Germano, who was designated for assignment by Boston earlier this week, was 9-4 with a 2.40 ERA and a 72/13 K/BB ratio in 105 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket this season. The veteran right-hander could soak up innings at the back of the rotation or in middle relief once the Cubs trade their prized pitchers.
Coleman made 16 relief appearances for the Cubs earlier this season, but he started eight games in 2010 and 17 last year. The 25-year-old is 7-12 with a 5.70 ERA in 25 starts and 22 relief appearances overall for the club.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)