Jul 19, 2012, 9:06 PM EST
And, well, that’s all we have right now. Talks are said to be “fluid” and it isn’t clear whether top prospect right-hander Zach Lee is included in the Dodgers’ proposal. That seems unlikely, as it would be a pretty hefty price to pay for an impending free agent who can’t be offered arbitration. For Matt Garza? Sure. He’s under team control for another year. But Dempster? Probably not.
The Cubs seem to be preparing for the possibility that a deal, not necessarily with the Dodgers, will go down prior to Dempster’s scheduled start tomorrow tonight against the Cardinals. The club acquired Justin Germano from the Red Sox from cash considerations tonight and have summoned right-hander Casey Coleman from Triple-A Iowa to join the team tomorrow in St. Louis. While it’s no sure thing that a trade will happen by tomorrow night, either pitcher could conceivably start in Dempster’s place.
Dempster, 35, leads the majors with a 1.86 ERA through 14 starts this season and currently holds a 33-inning scoreless streak. He is reportedly drawing interest from a long list of contenders, including the Tigers and Braves. The Red Sox are said to be out of the mix. He has 10-and-5 rights, but has expressed a willingness to be traded to a contender.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Zach Lee will not be in a deal for a rental like Dempster. That sounds about right.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 23
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)