Jul 19, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
And, well, that’s all we have right now. Talks are said to be “fluid” and it isn’t clear whether top prospect right-hander Zach Lee is included in the Dodgers’ proposal. That seems unlikely, as it would be a pretty hefty price to pay for an impending free agent who can’t be offered arbitration. For Matt Garza? Sure. He’s under team control for another year. But Dempster? Probably not.
The Cubs seem to be preparing for the possibility that a deal, not necessarily with the Dodgers, will go down prior to Dempster’s scheduled start tomorrow tonight against the Cardinals. The club acquired Justin Germano from the Red Sox from cash considerations tonight and have summoned right-hander Casey Coleman from Triple-A Iowa to join the team tomorrow in St. Louis. While it’s no sure thing that a trade will happen by tomorrow night, either pitcher could conceivably start in Dempster’s place.
Dempster, 35, leads the majors with a 1.86 ERA through 14 starts this season and currently holds a 33-inning scoreless streak. He is reportedly drawing interest from a long list of contenders, including the Tigers and Braves. The Red Sox are said to be out of the mix. He has 10-and-5 rights, but has expressed a willingness to be traded to a contender.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Zach Lee will not be in a deal for a rental like Dempster. That sounds about right.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 11
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 212
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (212)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (139)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)