Jamie Moyer: “I’m not retired, I’m not retired”

Jul 19, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT

Colorado Rockies v Miami Marlins Getty Images

NBC’s own Rick Chandler has a fortified compound in the environs around Lake Tahoe, and each July he goes to the American Century Golf Celebrity Golf Championship. Jamie Moyer is there this year, and Rick talked to him. What’s the plan, Old Man Moyer?

“I’m not retired, I’m not retired. I’m just kind of laying in the weeds and just trying to figure out what’s going on,” Moyer said. “I’m just going to step back after the season and assess what’s going on, and see how I feel and go from there.

That’s the thing about baseball. Very rarely does it allow you to decide when you’re retired. It decides for you, and it seems that after about ten more years than anyone else gets in the game, it has decided that Moyer is retired. But hey, if he wants to try again he’s more than welcome. Everyone likes Jamie Moyer.

Especially David Justice, if the anecdote Moyer tells Rick is to be believed. Go check it out. I think it calls for someone to run a tracer on it to see if it really happened, but I want it to be true.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Call him “unemployed”.

2. danandcasey - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I am skeptical of Moyer’s anecdote. On Aug. 27, 1998 Seattle did beat Cleveland 10-4. Justice hit a home run off of Moyer in the 6th. It was a 10-pitch at bat. However, the score with Seattle 5, Cleveland 3 at the time (Justice’s solo blast made it 5-4 – so, Seattle was not “up pretty big”). I have trouble seeing Moyer serving up an HR in that close a game.

• danandcasey - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Sorry – I meant that “the score was Seattle 5, Cleveland 3.” Off for a second cup of coffee.

3. 12strikes - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Time to get into coaching.

4. Ben - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

This has gone from fun, feel-good story to a twinge of sad. Hang ‘em up, Jamie. You’ve had a hell of a career.

5. henryd3rd - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Jamie Moyer sounds like my father each time my mother would find him asleep while watching baseball late at night. I’m not sleep I’m just resting my eyes during the commercials.

6. nvandy42 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Made respect, but give it up man….

7. goldensombrero3000 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I didn’t want to go right home to my wife so I joined a gym. Kind of the same thing.

8. surefooted1 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM

“I’m not retired, I’m not retired. ”

Yes, Yes you are…

• kellyb9 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Here’s something thats always baffled me. Jamie Moyer can still pitch. He can pitch better or as good as most teams number 5′s. He can pitch better than a lot of teams bullpens. They guy doesn’t work on velocity. He’s able to paint the corners in the right situation. That being said, he’s not getting work because of his age…. and I find that sad. I don’t understand why a team that is in the playoff hunt but looking for a little help out of the bullpen wouldn’t pick up a guy like this. Worst case scenario, you have a coach in the pen that can relate a little bit better to some of these players.

• genericcommenter - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

No one is discriminating against Jamie Moyer dude to his age. If they were, no one would have given him a chance at 49 after not playing at 48. If anything they might be willing to give him more of a chance ( if the choice between him and some other #5 is basically a wash) because of the novelty the whole thing.

He got a shot this year, he did not do well. A 39 year-old who did the same would probably be involuntarily retired, too. Plus, he’s really only had around 3 good seasons in his 40s, anyway. He was pretty good in 2008 ( 4 years ago), ok in 2006, Great in 2003. Almost every other season he’s been a little below average. Every career has an end. Plenty of pitchers could still pitch right up until the end, but it was still the end.

Three legends off to Cooperstown