Miguel Batista: The Mets are better than the Nats, are the best team in baseball

Jul 19, 2012, 9:56 AM EST

Mets pitcher Miguel Batista throws during their Interleague MLB baseball game in Toronto

Someone get some of what Mets pitcher Miguel Batista is smoking and pass me some. Via DC Sports Bog:

“Right now [the Nats are] playing good baseball, but I don’t believe they’re a better team than us. They’re playing great baseball. But better team? I believe we’re the better team … I believe we are the best team in baseball. We just have to play like one.”

The Mets are eight games behind the Nats right now. Probably also worth noting that the Nats improved when they stopped employing Miguel Batista. And I sincerely believe that the Mets will be better when they do the same. Which, if I had to guess, will be sometime in the next three or four days.

1. uyf1950 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Come on the best team in baseball. That dude is doing something even more powerful then drugs. Not only are the Nationals better then them they are much better then them. I hate to bring the Yankees into this post but the Yankees took 5 of 6 from the Mets when the Mets were playing their best just about 1 month ago.

• Kevin S. - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Clearly he knows the best team in baseball plays in New York – he just crossed up whuch New York team that was.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Maybe someone should give Jon Rauch some bath salts and lock him them in a room together: Designated for face eating.

• pisano - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

uyf1950…. my friend, let me know if MLB is testing for LSD, because I think Batista is going under the radar. You’d have to be spaced out to make that statement.

2. styx630 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I don’t know about best, but imagine how much better the Mets would be with even a decent bullpen (one that doesn’t include Miguel Batista)?

3. sdelmonte - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Sigh. I like confidence. But I don’t like this sort of nonsense. Especially when your team is losing.

The good news, I suppose, that if Batista’s start this weekend is as bad as we expect, Matt Harvey will come up to the bigs and maybe things will be shaken up a bit.

Watch: now that I’ve said this, Batista will throw the game of his life, and the rest of the bullpen will blow it for him.

• kkolchak - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Not to mention that Batista gave up the decisive runs against the Nats last night when a singles hitter rookie smashed a two-run double off of him that missed being a Home Run by about 6 inches. We Nats fans will always have fond memories of the “Miss Iowa” incident, but really these comments are just silly.

• natslady - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM

He already threw the game of his life. I was there for the Miss Iowa game, and Batista was great.

• voteforno6 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I was there as well. Five shutout innings was way more than I expected from him in that game.

• ikedavisnose - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Maybe but if he does this bad in 1/2 inning imagine what he does in one game

• natstowngreg - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Generally speaking, Batista entered a Nats game to mop up in a blowout, or to pitch extra innings. I recall a game at Nats Park a couple of years ago when he came in to face the Dodgers in the 10th. I said to my friend, there goes the game. At least it took Batista until the 13th to lose the game.

The fact that Terry Collins has to use Batista in “higher-leverage” situations tells me all I need to know about the Mets’ bullpen.

And BTW Miguel, teams that win a lot of games get to call themselves the best teams. Funny how it works out that way.

4. plmathfoto - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM

And not only do they have him in the bullpen, they’re talking about starting him later in the week, wish they could get some pitching.

5. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I don’t see a problem with a guy displaying public confidence in his team. If I rooted for the Mets, I’d probably rather hear this than “Well, we’re really just playing over our heads at this point and it’s all due to come crashing down in flames. Any day now, probably. Enjoy it while it lasts, people.”

• kkolchak - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM

If I were one of the Mets stars, I’d be mighty unhappy that a journeyman has-been is running off at the mouth and giving the first place club ahead of my team good bulletin board material.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I don’t buy bulletin board material. The Nationals are professional athletes. If they needed a journeyman has-been running off at them mouth to get motivated, they probably wouldn’t be winning the division right now.

• kkolchak - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM

@CCE – That’s a clown comment, bro. Young Mr. Harper will use ANY excuse to get motivated.

• natstowngreg - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Young Mr. Harper needs no excuses. Just wind him up and point him toward the field… :)

• Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

/\ this /\

6. maxt75 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Casey Stengel

“If we’re going to win the pennant, we’ve got to start thinking we’re not as good as we think we are.”

7. omniusprime - Jul 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Miguel Batista must be auditioning for Jon Stewart’s “The Daily Show” with what has to be the biggest joke in baseball history. Yeah and I second Craig’s call for Miguel to pass along what he’s smoking. Don’t bogart that joint Miguel, pass it over to me. The Met’s being the best team in baseball, yeah I watched that happen in 1969 but it hasn’t happened since and it’ll be a long long time before it happens again. Poor Jon Stewart will not live long enough to see it no matter how ripe an old age Jon lives to. The Cubs will win the pennant before the Mets win it again. Best team in baseball, tee hee. ROFL

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester