Jul 19, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
“There is no magic number,” Rizzo said. “It will be the eye test. (Manager) Davey (Johnson) won’t decide and ownership won’t decide. It will be the general manager, and that’s me.”
This backs off earlier comments about Strasburg having a 160 inning limit. Which only makes sense now as it seems likely that the Nationals’ season is going to be longer than most people thought it would be back in spring training.
Still, worth clipping and saving this in the event the move backfires. Because if the Nats lose a bunch of games in his absence, Strasburg comes back rusty and ineffective after the layoff or he gets hurt anyway, it will be interesting to here if Rizzo’s rhetoric changes to “we, as an orgainzation, decided to …” rebop.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (108)