Jul 19, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
“There is no magic number,” Rizzo said. “It will be the eye test. (Manager) Davey (Johnson) won’t decide and ownership won’t decide. It will be the general manager, and that’s me.”
This backs off earlier comments about Strasburg having a 160 inning limit. Which only makes sense now as it seems likely that the Nationals’ season is going to be longer than most people thought it would be back in spring training.
Still, worth clipping and saving this in the event the move backfires. Because if the Nats lose a bunch of games in his absence, Strasburg comes back rusty and ineffective after the layoff or he gets hurt anyway, it will be interesting to here if Rizzo’s rhetoric changes to “we, as an orgainzation, decided to …” rebop.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)