Jul 19, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
“There is no magic number,” Rizzo said. “It will be the eye test. (Manager) Davey (Johnson) won’t decide and ownership won’t decide. It will be the general manager, and that’s me.”
This backs off earlier comments about Strasburg having a 160 inning limit. Which only makes sense now as it seems likely that the Nationals’ season is going to be longer than most people thought it would be back in spring training.
Still, worth clipping and saving this in the event the move backfires. Because if the Nats lose a bunch of games in his absence, Strasburg comes back rusty and ineffective after the layoff or he gets hurt anyway, it will be interesting to here if Rizzo’s rhetoric changes to “we, as an orgainzation, decided to …” rebop.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)