Quote of the Day: Bert Blyleven on Reggie Jackson

Jul 19, 2012, 9:18 AM EDT

Blyleven Angels

Yeah, I know we’ve beaten this one to death, but people keep saying fun things, so here we are.  This time: Bert Blyleven on WFAN yesterday, talking about Reggie Jackson insulting him as not being Hall-of-Fame worthy:

“God gives us many holes in our body,” Blyleven said Wednesday morning. “And he just spoke out of the wrong one. That’s the way I look at it.”

Blyleven knows all about that.

Anyway, he says that Reggie called him to apologize and it’s water under the bridge. He was a bit miffed that Jackson included Kirby Puckett and Gary Carter, though, what with them being dead and all.

1. aceshigh11 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

2. sknut - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Maybe I am bit insensitive, but I don’t see how Puckett and Carter being dead has anything to do with with what Jackson said. I disagreed with him on those players but I don’t think he was trying to be insulting because they are dead, they just grouped in with the living players.

3. henryd3rd - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Reggie always speaks out of his behind; unfortunately the media loves his comments and keeps putting microphones in his face and he obliges by making unfortunate remarks. I only wish he was attending the HOF ceremonies this weekend and see how he would try to sidestep his most recent outburst.

• yahmule - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The media is just part of the equation. We live in a culture that is obsessed with celebrities and their opinions. The dumber the statement, the more attention it draws. Had Reggie offered a thoughtful and well considered observation on the HOF in general, it would have been forgotten in a day or two. Since he blurted out something rash and named names while doing it, people will talk about it indefinitely.

4. rickeye9 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM

he said this a week ago on 95.7 the game bay area, way to be on top of this

• nategearhart - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Right, cause the blogger in Ohio should be expected to listen to San Francisco sports radio shows.

• 18thstreet - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

He’s busy, what with the twitter machine and this so-called “bat/man” and all.

5. Kevin S. - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM

He should have just repeated his line against Reggie.

6. goldensombrero3000 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I didn’t make any of the Twins games when they were in Cincinnati but I definately would’ve had a “Circle Me Bert” sign.

All the trade deadline news to know