Jul 19, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
Look at what he’s done in his last four starts:
June 29: 8 1/3 IP, 0 R, 6/1 K/BB in win over Houston
July 4: 6 IP, 1 R, 5/1 K/BB in win over Atlanta
July 13: 7 IP, 1 R, 5/1 K/BB in win over Arizona
July 19: 8 IP, 1 R, 4/1 K/BB in win over Miami
Three runs in 29 1/3 innings has lowered Maholm’s ERA to 4.09. He has a nifty 1.29 WHIP, and he’s allowed a modest 11 homers in 105 2/3 innings.
Coming off a shoulder strain, no one thought Maholm was worthy of a multiyear deal last winter after the Pirates cut him loose. The Cubs signed the left-hander for $4.75 million with a $6.5 million option for 2013 that appears very likely to be exercised, whether it’s by the Cubs or the team that trades for him.
The Cubs will be more likely to keep Maholm if they trade Garza, but if they can get a replacement capable of stepping right into the rotation, they shouldn’t be afraid to make the move. While it’s probably a good idea for most non-contenders to have a couple of vets around to eat innings, the Cubs can get through August and September without him and then go looking for the next Maholm in December.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)