Jul 19, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Carlos Quentin and Huston Street are two of the most popular trade chips around, so the assumption has been that the Padres will deal them before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. Not so, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
According to Heyman, the Padres now want to sign both Quentin and Street to multi-year deals. Both players have expressed a desire to stay in San Diego, because, well, who the heck wouldn’t if the price is right? And while the ownership situation is unsettled at the moment, current owner John Moores and presumptive new owner Ron Fowler have given the OK to try to sign them.
Every report must be taken with a grain of salt at this time of year, so it’s possible the Padres are floating this out there in order to raise the asking price among prospective suitors. Quentin is a San Diego native, so the Padres may feel some extra incentive to get something done with him, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right course of action for a franchise in rebuilding mode.
Quentin, an impending free agent, is batting .268/.394/.512 with eight home runs, 21 RBI and a .905 OPS in 37 games played this season. Street has compiled a microscopic 1.07 ERA and 34/8 K/BB ratio over 25 1/3 innings this season while going a perfect 15-for-15 in save opportunities. His contract includes a $500,000 buyout on a $9 million mutual option for 2013.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)