Jul 19, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Carlos Quentin and Huston Street are two of the most popular trade chips around, so the assumption has been that the Padres will deal them before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. Not so, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
According to Heyman, the Padres now want to sign both Quentin and Street to multi-year deals. Both players have expressed a desire to stay in San Diego, because, well, who the heck wouldn’t if the price is right? And while the ownership situation is unsettled at the moment, current owner John Moores and presumptive new owner Ron Fowler have given the OK to try to sign them.
Every report must be taken with a grain of salt at this time of year, so it’s possible the Padres are floating this out there in order to raise the asking price among prospective suitors. Quentin is a San Diego native, so the Padres may feel some extra incentive to get something done with him, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right course of action for a franchise in rebuilding mode.
Quentin, an impending free agent, is batting .268/.394/.512 with eight home runs, 21 RBI and a .905 OPS in 37 games played this season. Street has compiled a microscopic 1.07 ERA and 34/8 K/BB ratio over 25 1/3 innings this season while going a perfect 15-for-15 in save opportunities. His contract includes a $500,000 buyout on a $9 million mutual option for 2013.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)