Tim Hudson doesn’t plunk Melky, but hits him all the same

Jul 19, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT

Tim Hudson

Braves pitchers went the whole game without hitting Melky Cabrera in the 3-2 win over the Giants. Indeed, the only incident of any kind of all was when, after he hit a triple, Melky Cabrera gave some sort of “I’m number one” gesture to the booing Atlanta fans.

So, between that and yesterday, baseball’s old school rules did not call for a plunking, Tim Hudson?

“We won the game. That’s all that matters,” Hudson said. “Whenever they want to strut around when they lose, that’s fine. That’s their own thing.”

The high road. Is that so hard? Doesn’t seem so.

1. Phillies Homer - Jul 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I’ve always liked Tim Hudson… and I say that as a Phillies fan.

2. randygnyc - Jul 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

This was only possible because Tim Hudson has got class- in spades. (and I’m not saying Melky deserved to be plunked, but lesser character guys might have done it anyway).

3. SOBEIT - Jul 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Wow, Melky really got under Craig’s skin. I guess the Melkman won’t deliver to the Calcaterra house…Craig seems to be a bit lactose intollerant.

Can’t wait to see all your commentary on all the other show boating players around the league deserving a plunking.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Did you even pay attention to the story that manifested yesterday?

• SOBEIT - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Look, I like Craig and respect his writing….that’s why I keep coming back and reading daily. I am just pointing out how he seems to be out of character because the Melkman got his groove on and might have broken a unwritten rule. I don’t recall Craig getting all bent out of shape before.

• paperlions - Jul 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Maybe you should go back and read things again, because your comments don’t resemble the facts.

• raysfan1 - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

SOBEIT,
        You read the above article, and didn’t get that Craig is praising Hudson for NOT plunking Cabrera? Or ever noticed that he’s always against plunking anyone? Amazing.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Thats because Melky was a particular type of showboating douchebag yesterday from everything i’ve heard

• stampede101 - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

“…from everything i’ve heard”

This, folks is how nonsense spreads like wildfire. Implies he didn’t see it…but has a firm judgment of what happend. I love it.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

He was being a major league a-hole. I saw it with my own eyes. How’s that?

• SOBEIT - Jul 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Hammy.Chip
        Please…get over yourselves. Melky and Blanco have been doing the crotch cross all year. And they do it towards the Giants dugout and to themselves…not the opponents. But the Braves and their fans are the first to get all riled up for nothing. The only thing Melky did towards the fan was fake a ball toss to the stands and raise his single finger to show #1. Oh, the travesty!

Whatever…you all want to act butthurt over a simple gesture go ahead. Melky is raking and you all are just bitter because he did not perform for NY or the Braves. If the Braves didn’t give up on him after one season and actually tried to get him to get in shape…I could understand. The Giants took a chance and are being rewarded.

\X/

• hammyofdoom - Jul 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Thank you for telling me to “get over myself” but the general consensus seemed to be that he was a dick. I said “From everything that I heard”, I could not care less about an Atlanta Braves/Giants series and am not butthurt in the slighest. Thanks though for your concern! <3

• jamaicanjasta - Jul 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Sobeit, it has nothing to do with fans being ‘bitter’ he didn’t perform in NY, Atlanta or KC but that he was taunting the fans in Turner Field all series long. I mean there are video clips of him doing the pelvic thrust taunt to fans in left field after making a routine catch and taunting a base running at second. Players having fun is one thing, this is another and rightly annoys fans and other players.

• stampede101 - Jul 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

A major a-hole? So he cursed, flipped the bird and taunted fans unprovoked? Stop being a baby and relax. It’s baseball…there’s no crying in baseball!

• brazcubas - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Seems you completely missed the point of Craig’s post. As any regular here knows, Craig is a papal decree short of launching an actual crusade against intentional beanings (the metaphorical one is already well under way).

He wasn’t advocating beaning Cabrera, but praising Hudson and the Braves for forgoing old-school etiquette and choosing to not do any beaning. For as any old-school baseball fan knows, Melky’s antics deserved nothing less than a knee-capping, followed by a tip of the hat from the pitcher, and opera-applause from the bench.

4. realgone2 - Jul 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Melky was a fat slob in Atlanta. He has too much cushion for a plunking anyway.

5. jayquintana - Jul 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

A mature response to an immature act… is that allowed in baseball? Good for Hudson.

6. sonoco - Jul 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Bumgarner pitched well again and a sweep would have been sweet, but it was nice to win the series and slow the Braves roll. On to Philly. I wanted a .500 road trip for the Giants but now I’m feeling greedy and would prefer 4-2.

7. skerney - Jul 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Two things: Hudson’s snarky “strut around when they lose” comment doesn’t sound like the high road to me.
    Second, Craig and Braves fans should be more concerned about giving up 20 runs in three games to a very pedestrian Giants offense then having sour grapes over Melky Cabrera.

• jamaicanjasta - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

The team and the fans are far more concerned about the 4 game road trip at the Nationals than the Melky stuff TBH. On a random note, I’d prefer snarky comments to the media after the game from my players than showboating and intentionally antagonizing opposing fans during it.

Also outside of JJ and Varvaro’s performances I think the Braves are fine with how their pitching was this series. The last two starts: Hudson (allowed 2 runs in 7.1 innings) and Minor (allowed 1 run in 6 innings) seem fine and overall the Braves have won 8 of 10, not exactly time to panic.

8. pantherpro - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Dear Redneck Braves fan,

You live in the worst sports town in America and even worse you morons like Santorum, Bachman and Romney! Basically, you are lowlife morons! Not only did Melky give you the finger the whole west coast says you are losers! Enjoy living in your trailers you rebel flag waiving trash!

• jamaicanjasta - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Sigh, you’re not even good at trolling friend. But keep your head up, one day all of your keyboard raging and flame baiting will pay off and you’ll get all of that attention you so desperately need. In the meantime, how we get to discuss relevant stuff here while you can huff paint and spew hateful stereotypes somewhere else eh?

• crashdavis99 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Wow, I am impressed. The fact that you have learned to operate a computer despite your obvious lack of even remedial intelligence is quite a feat. Good for you for not letting your disabilities slow you down! Today, the computer….Tomorrow, wiping yourself!

• skids003 - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Good one Crash. That may be more than he can handle though. Obviously a Democrat. What will he say when Kimbrel plunks him? 99 mph hurts worse than 90.

9. pantherpro - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Mr Jamaica

Get a clue! They hate people of your color in the ATL!

• skids003 - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

No we don’t. We hate idiots like you.

10. sonoco - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:44 AM