Jul 20, 2012, 6:22 AM EST
Rays 6, Indians 0: And David Price is the first pitcher in the AL to 13 wins as he allows only two hits in seven shutout innings. Jose Molina — Jose Molina! — stole a base. Remember when I said that the Red Sox needed to be fined for allowing Adam Dunn to swipe one? The Indians should be fined and flogged.
Cubs 4, Marlins 2: The Cubs beat Mark Buehrle in his return to Chicago. They went 5-1 on the homestand. I feel like writing posts today about how they should add pieces at the deadline for their playoff run. OK, maybe not, but not a bad week for the Cubbies.
Orioles 4, Twins 3: Read the box score for the details of this game if you want them. I’m far more fixated on this post-game quote from Buck Showalter regarding the Twins offense: “That’s a pretty tough lineup to go through.” There’s an epidemic in baseball these days. And epidemic in which everyone feels the need to say nonsense about something in an effort to appear to be showing respect. I appreciate the polite impulse, but really people.
Reds 7, Diamondbacks 6: The Diamondbacks were up 6-0 after the finished batting in the sixth. Then Brandon Phillips woke up and hit a three-run homer in the sixth, a two-run double in the seventh and then scored the go-ahead run.
Tigers 5, Angels 1: The Tigers have won 10 of 12. The rest of the American League probably wishes they killed them when they had the chance.
Braves 3, Giants 2: The Braves had three hits total. Two of them were homers. Efficiency, baby.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)