Jul 20, 2012, 6:22 AM EST
Rays 6, Indians 0: And David Price is the first pitcher in the AL to 13 wins as he allows only two hits in seven shutout innings. Jose Molina — Jose Molina! — stole a base. Remember when I said that the Red Sox needed to be fined for allowing Adam Dunn to swipe one? The Indians should be fined and flogged.
Cubs 4, Marlins 2: The Cubs beat Mark Buehrle in his return to Chicago. They went 5-1 on the homestand. I feel like writing posts today about how they should add pieces at the deadline for their playoff run. OK, maybe not, but not a bad week for the Cubbies.
Orioles 4, Twins 3: Read the box score for the details of this game if you want them. I’m far more fixated on this post-game quote from Buck Showalter regarding the Twins offense: “That’s a pretty tough lineup to go through.” There’s an epidemic in baseball these days. And epidemic in which everyone feels the need to say nonsense about something in an effort to appear to be showing respect. I appreciate the polite impulse, but really people.
Reds 7, Diamondbacks 6: The Diamondbacks were up 6-0 after the finished batting in the sixth. Then Brandon Phillips woke up and hit a three-run homer in the sixth, a two-run double in the seventh and then scored the go-ahead run.
Tigers 5, Angels 1: The Tigers have won 10 of 12. The rest of the American League probably wishes they killed them when they had the chance.
Braves 3, Giants 2: The Braves had three hits total. Two of them were homers. Efficiency, baby.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)