Jul 20, 2012, 6:22 AM EDT
Rays 6, Indians 0: And David Price is the first pitcher in the AL to 13 wins as he allows only two hits in seven shutout innings. Jose Molina — Jose Molina! — stole a base. Remember when I said that the Red Sox needed to be fined for allowing Adam Dunn to swipe one? The Indians should be fined and flogged.
Cubs 4, Marlins 2: The Cubs beat Mark Buehrle in his return to Chicago. They went 5-1 on the homestand. I feel like writing posts today about how they should add pieces at the deadline for their playoff run. OK, maybe not, but not a bad week for the Cubbies.
Orioles 4, Twins 3: Read the box score for the details of this game if you want them. I’m far more fixated on this post-game quote from Buck Showalter regarding the Twins offense: “That’s a pretty tough lineup to go through.” There’s an epidemic in baseball these days. And epidemic in which everyone feels the need to say nonsense about something in an effort to appear to be showing respect. I appreciate the polite impulse, but really people.
Reds 7, Diamondbacks 6: The Diamondbacks were up 6-0 after the finished batting in the sixth. Then Brandon Phillips woke up and hit a three-run homer in the sixth, a two-run double in the seventh and then scored the go-ahead run.
Tigers 5, Angels 1: The Tigers have won 10 of 12. The rest of the American League probably wishes they killed them when they had the chance.
Braves 3, Giants 2: The Braves had three hits total. Two of them were homers. Efficiency, baby.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)