Jul 20, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
The news from Aurora Colorado this morning is awful and tragic. People just wanted to go to a movie and some sick person rains tragedy down on countless lives. Tragedy that will last forever.
There’s horrible evil in the world. We all know this on some level and always have known it. One of the best aspects of the human spirit is that we still go on despite knowing this, probably because we are genetically gifted with the ability to push horror out of our minds. If we couldn’t do that we’d just give up and never bring children into the world. Of course that means when we’re reminded of its existence it’s shocking and jarring.
One of the victims of the shooting was Jessica Ghawi. She was an aspiring sportscaster — hockey mostly — and occasional sports blogger for Busted Coverage and her own blog. Just last month she was in Toronto for the Easton Center shooting and wrote about it. And now she and, at this writing, 11 other people are gone and 50 are injured because of a sick person’s decision to make it so.
We’ll try to understand it all. Ultimately we’ll fail, because that’s the nature of unspeakable evil. But in the meantime we’ll hopefully spend some time remembering how precious and fleeing our time is here and appreciating all that we’ve had and all that we’ve lost.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 23
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 25
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)