Jul 20, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
The news from Aurora Colorado this morning is awful and tragic. People just wanted to go to a movie and some sick person rains tragedy down on countless lives. Tragedy that will last forever.
There’s horrible evil in the world. We all know this on some level and always have known it. One of the best aspects of the human spirit is that we still go on despite knowing this, probably because we are genetically gifted with the ability to push horror out of our minds. If we couldn’t do that we’d just give up and never bring children into the world. Of course that means when we’re reminded of its existence it’s shocking and jarring.
One of the victims of the shooting was Jessica Ghawi. She was an aspiring sportscaster — hockey mostly — and occasional sports blogger for Busted Coverage and her own blog. Just last month she was in Toronto for the Easton Center shooting and wrote about it. And now she and, at this writing, 11 other people are gone and 50 are injured because of a sick person’s decision to make it so.
We’ll try to understand it all. Ultimately we’ll fail, because that’s the nature of unspeakable evil. But in the meantime we’ll hopefully spend some time remembering how precious and fleeing our time is here and appreciating all that we’ve had and all that we’ve lost.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)