Jul 20, 2012, 11:44 PM EST
One can’t help but wonder just how late Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard were out last night.
Down 9-0 after five innings, the Braves rallied to beat the Nationals 11-10 in 11 innings Friday and cut Washington’s NL East lead down to 2 1/2 games.
It was the first time since 1987 that the Braves had come from 9-0 down to win. Nationals manager Davey Johnson said afterwards that it was, “Arguably the worst game I’ve ever managed.”
This one was all Stephen Strasburg early, but the Braves got to the young All-Star for four runs in the sixth and kept piling on from there. Storen, just back from elbow surgery, gave up his first two runs of the season in the eighth, with Sean Burnett allowing two more in the frame. Clippard then blew his third save when he gave up two runs in the ninth, putting the Nationals in a 10-9 hole.
Still, the biggest surprise may have come in the bottom of the ninth, with David Espinosa homered off Craig Kimbrel. It was just the fifth homer allowed by Kimbrel in 135 2/3 career innings, and it resulted in his second blown save of the year. He entered with a 1.22 ERA.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (105)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)