Jul 20, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
What? You were expecting a “dog days” headline? Please. We have standards around here.
The paid attendance for last night’s Yankees-A’s game was 23,382. There were 718 freeloaders, however:
It was a rare dog day of summer for the Yankees, who still owned the best record in baseball (57-35) after a night in which 718 dogs attended the game as the A’s attempted to set a Guinness World Record for most canines at a sporting event. They will submit their total to Guinness.
They’d try it with cats, but cats have far too much dignity to be used by their owners in such a craven manner. Cats are basically the pie of house pets while dogs are cake. I mean, dogs are great. I love a good dog. But cats are clearly superior. It’s just science and I will accept no argument against such conclusive and fundamental truths.
Anyway, on the hierarchy of records, this falls someplace below “fattest twins” and somewhere above bee beards and world’s most crooked street. Meanwhile, Robert Wadlow looks down from heaven, safe in the knowledge that no one will ever be more closely associated with the Guinness Book than he.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)