Jul 20, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
What? You were expecting a “dog days” headline? Please. We have standards around here.
The paid attendance for last night’s Yankees-A’s game was 23,382. There were 718 freeloaders, however:
It was a rare dog day of summer for the Yankees, who still owned the best record in baseball (57-35) after a night in which 718 dogs attended the game as the A’s attempted to set a Guinness World Record for most canines at a sporting event. They will submit their total to Guinness.
They’d try it with cats, but cats have far too much dignity to be used by their owners in such a craven manner. Cats are basically the pie of house pets while dogs are cake. I mean, dogs are great. I love a good dog. But cats are clearly superior. It’s just science and I will accept no argument against such conclusive and fundamental truths.
Anyway, on the hierarchy of records, this falls someplace below “fattest twins” and somewhere above bee beards and world’s most crooked street. Meanwhile, Robert Wadlow looks down from heaven, safe in the knowledge that no one will ever be more closely associated with the Guinness Book than he.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (100)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)