Jul 20, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT
In that “the clubhouse has turned on Bobby V.” story from last week, one of the things that was cited as evidence of the team’s disdain for Valentine was that Dustin Pedroia didn’t join him and the rest of the infield on the mound for a pitching change.
Pedroia would like you all to know that it had nothing to do with Bobby V:
“I swallowed my dip, man,” he said, referencing his chewing tobacco. “Bobby came out and right when I went to take a step I went to take my dip out and I [expletive] swallowed it. Man down. I chilled out right there.
“David [Ortiz] was playing first base and he said, ‘What the [expletive] is wrong with you?’ I told him, ‘I swallowed my dip, man.’”
I assume that Pedroia will now be fined by the league for violating the tobacco policy.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 16
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)