Dustin Pedroia doesn’t hate Bobby V. He just swallowed his dip

Jul 20, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT

pedroia ap wide AP

In that “the clubhouse has turned on Bobby V.” story from last week, one of the things that was cited as evidence of the team’s disdain for Valentine was that Dustin Pedroia didn’t join him and the rest of the infield on the mound for a pitching change.

Pedroia would like you all to know that it had nothing to do with Bobby V:

“I swallowed my dip, man,” he said, referencing his chewing tobacco. “Bobby came out and right when I went to take a step I went to take my dip out and I [expletive] swallowed it. Man down. I chilled out right there.

“David [Ortiz] was playing first base and he said, ‘What the [expletive] is wrong with you?’ I told him, ‘I swallowed my dip, man.’”

I assume that Pedroia will now be fined by the league for violating the tobacco policy.

1. harrysatchel - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I remember watching a teammate of mine try dip for the first time…he stuck a big plug of it right on his tongue. The next 5 minutes were hysterical!

2. edelmanfanclub - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM

That sounds like something out of a baseball comedy movie. If he gets fined thats probably even funnier, but messed up.

3. aiede - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM

He should chew nicotine gum instead. Even the Red Sox can walk and do that at the same time.

4. whatthehellisansky - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Wow – in that case ill give him props for not puking his guts up at 2nd base.

Im still pretty sure he hates Bobby V though – regardless of what he says. I mean – whats there to like about the guy?

5. xpensivewinos - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Regardless of that, I gotta think he can’t stand Valentine and his body language has shown that all season……..not to mention awkwardly putting him in his place while defending Youkilis earlier this season (which was out of line for a player to do).

It just feels like Bobby Valentine isn’t even a part of the team. You get the sense he’s just some guy who’s there to oversee the team for a little while until their real manager shows up. He looks like an outsider who does not fit in there at all.

All good managers are such a recognizable focal point of a team and help to identify it and Valentine feels no more like the man in charge of the Red Sox than any other guy they could have pulled out of the stands on any given day.

Now can we talk about how nice it would be if Pedroia actually hit this year……

6. crispybasil - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM

It would have been hilarious if he started puking, Sandlot style.

• cur68 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

If he started puking it would have been cited as further evidence of his antipathy for BV. Probably for the best he just stood there and let the helpless waves of nausea was hover him sans puke. Remember when Dykstra swallowed his chaw sliding into a base? Puke-a-rama. I laughed and laughed.

• ajcardsfan - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Now I’ve got Wipeout in my head, normally I wouldn’t like this, but it’s replacing Call Me Maybe, so I’m okay with it

• cur68 - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM

The Muppets version, I hope. You know the one? With Animal on the drums screaming “wipe out”? That’s the best version.

7. stex52 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

That was one of my enduring images from Bouton’s books (I forget if it was actually “Ball Four”). The pitcher who swallowed his plug and turned around and gave it up right there on the mound.

8. Kevin S. - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Man, I have no sympathy for dippers when they swallow. That shit is one of the most disgusting habits I’ve come across. You deserve everything you get when it goes wrong.

9. budselog - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

It’s such a soap opera in Boston and worse than usual. Who cares if they players love or hate or like or dislike Bobby V. He’s not there to be friends. (I think) he wants to win games and hopefully get into the postseason.

So far the team is miserable and mediocrity will continue to be applauded in Boston by not only finishing in a second place slot, but this time second wild card place. Does it get any more lame? And that question is for Selig AND the Red Sox.

10. sabatimus - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM

It doesn’t sound like he violated the tobacco policy. Most of the policy refers to having a tin on their person. Unless this falls under the “chewing at team-sponsored events”, which I don’t think it does. But that stuff is really gross, and I wish he didn’t chew it.

• ravensgrl - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM

A game isn’t a team-sponsored event?

11. Glenn - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I don’t see how anything about this situation violates the league tobacco policy.

Regardless, I got roped into the habit as a kid when two of my favorite athletes, Carlton Fisk and Walt Garrison, advertised all the time and you could send away for a free tin by mail regardless of your age. I was 12. I still struggle with the ugly habit, relapsing on occasion. Don’t start, kids.

12. maxt75 - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Casey Stengel

“The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided.”

Casey has been gone for nearly 37 years but I can’t help but notice how many of his quotes still hold up today.

• natstowngreg - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Casey Stengel was a very smart fellow. He was also very good at disguising it.

13. j0esixpack - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Either in spite of Bobby V or because of him, as of late the Sox have looked like they are playing with a lot more passion.

Getting rid of some of the bad apples and giving young and hungry players an opportunity looks like it will pay dividends long term, if not this season, as gaining the wild card still is very possible.

14. eshine76 - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Did he do it on purpose??? Perhaps Pedroia said “I’d rather swallow dip than standout at that mound and listen to that guy…”

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3434)