Jul 20, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
Jayson Werth was originally scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment with High-A Potomac this evening. However, Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com passes along word that the Nationals decided to scratch him due to a combination of the poor weather and some stiffness in his surgically-repaired left wrist.
It’s not a major concern at this time, as Nationals manager Davey Johnson said that the stiffness was expected and that Werth should be good to go tomorrow instead.
“That’s a good sign,” Johnson said. “He said he pushed it to the point where it got a little stiff. And he said once you get that, you’re good to go. He said he heated it up a little in here and did a few exercises and felt great. So he’s going tomorrow. No biggie.”
Werth has been sidelined since breaking his wrist while trying to make a sliding catch on May 6 against the Phillies. Barring any setbacks, he figures to rejoin the Nationals’ lineup in the early part of August, which should push left fielder Steve Lombardozzi back into a super-utility role.
Werth, who is in the second year of a seven-year, $126 million contract, was hitting .276 with three homers, 12 RBI and an .810 OPS in 27 games prior to the injury.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 5
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 53
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 75
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (178)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)