Jul 20, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Imagine two families holding garage sales across the street from one another. Sunday afternoon rolls around and all the good stuff is long gone, most of the decent stuff is sold too, and only a few beat up, worn out, and largely undesirable items remain.
Someone from the first family yells across the street to the second family and says, “Hey, I’ll give you all my leftover junk for all your leftover junk.”
After thinking about it, someone from the second family replies: “OK, whatever. We were just going to throw it all out anyway, I guess.”
For weeks now the Rockies have made no secret about wanting to rid themselves of Guthrie, believing he’s particularly ill-suited for Coors Field. And last week the Royals mercifully designated Sanchez for assignment after he was the worst pitcher in baseball for a dozen starts, likely only sticking with him for that long because they traded Melky Cabrera to get him this offseason.
Guthrie was a solid, durable mid-rotation starter for the Orioles as recently as last season, so it makes plenty of sense that the Royals be willing to take on his $8.2 million contract in exchange for Sanchez’s $5.6 million deal. Sanchez hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2010 and words can’t do justice to how awful he’s been this season, but from the Rockies’ point of view at least he’s the junk from across the street and once upon a time had some upside.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)