Jul 20, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Imagine two families holding garage sales across the street from one another. Sunday afternoon rolls around and all the good stuff is long gone, most of the decent stuff is sold too, and only a few beat up, worn out, and largely undesirable items remain.
Someone from the first family yells across the street to the second family and says, “Hey, I’ll give you all my leftover junk for all your leftover junk.”
After thinking about it, someone from the second family replies: “OK, whatever. We were just going to throw it all out anyway, I guess.”
For weeks now the Rockies have made no secret about wanting to rid themselves of Guthrie, believing he’s particularly ill-suited for Coors Field. And last week the Royals mercifully designated Sanchez for assignment after he was the worst pitcher in baseball for a dozen starts, likely only sticking with him for that long because they traded Melky Cabrera to get him this offseason.
Guthrie was a solid, durable mid-rotation starter for the Orioles as recently as last season, so it makes plenty of sense that the Royals be willing to take on his $8.2 million contract in exchange for Sanchez’s $5.6 million deal. Sanchez hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2010 and words can’t do justice to how awful he’s been this season, but from the Rockies’ point of view at least he’s the junk from across the street and once upon a time had some upside.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 22
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 153
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (166)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)