Nick Swisher doesn’t understand why A’s fans boo him

Jul 20, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT

nick swisher and eric chavez

Nick Swisher was a fan favorite during his four seasons with the A’s and left the team not by choice but because he was traded to the White Sox following the 2007 season.

He’s been back to Oakland as an opposing player plenty of times since then, but after being booed by A’s fans last night Swisher voiced his frustration to Nate Stulhberg of CSNBayArea.com:

I’ve never been booed this much in my life. That’s all I really got to say about that. You boo Chavvy. You boo me. For what?

“Chavvy” is Eric Chavez, who spent the first 13 seasons of his career with the A’s before joining Swisher on the Yankees last season.

My guess is that simply playing for the Yankees explains a large part of the booing, but considering Swisher was traded away (in a good deal that got the A’s both Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney) and Chavez mutually parted ways with the A’s after playing for them from age 20 to age 32 it does seem a little odd that the crowd in Oakland would choose them as booing targets.

I’d normally say that perhaps A’s fans are simply frustrated in general and wanting to lash out at someone following five straight .500-or-worse seasons, but with the team playing very well of late and looking like legitimate playoff contenders that explanation wouldn’t make much sense either.

1. ninjasports - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Uhh Swisher, you are getting booed because other fans love to hate the Yankees and you happened to have played in that city before.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

They only liked the long hair and beard.

3. sictransitchris - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Teixeira got booed in Atlanta this year even though they traded him as well. It’s petty and stupid but whatever.

4. alexb64 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

It probably is because he’s a Yankee, but the booing thing is getting more inexplicable each passing year. I know fans who have booed players because their favorite team didn’t draft them, seriously that was the reason. I’ve even seen guys get booed for not signing with a certain team in free agency, regardless if the team even made them an offer. I think as the casual fan crowd gets more into sports, the reasons for booing will just get more moronic until players are getting booed for taking a strike 1 looking.

• jamesjammz - Jul 21, 2012 at 5:34 AM

The reason,fomer A’s players now with Yankees,are getting heavily boos, it seem like everytime the A’s had a good players,Yanks would try to sign them! Plus those bad playoff loses to Yanks back in early 2000,still hurt(LOL ,you know”SLEEPING. WITH THE ENEMY”

5. budselog - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Yankees player in road city = boos aplenty. What else is new?

6. mydadyourmom - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I loves when any player gets booed. I find it funny and warming.

7. poprox13 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Every player on the Yankee’s roster should be booed.

• woodyqq2 - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Why??? Just because they are the BEST?? If they cheer for the best at their home field someone could get hurt. So they get on the band wagon.

• poprox13 - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Not the best, just yankee’s

8. steveohho - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Booing the opposing players? Who can conceive such a thing? Swisher and Cano sure are sensitive.

• Kevin S. - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Why was Cano sensitive, because some assholes went after his parents? Because that’s all he complained about.

9. drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

People boo because they see other people booing. Sheepthink.

10. mmazzzzzz - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I’m sorry, but your average fan is not always the brightest and usually too drunk to need a reason to do whatever of is they do.

11. embinoratsicus - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

He gets booed because he is on the Yankees. Only Yankees fans would say it is because they are “the best.” That is a really cheesy thing to say, even if they believe it. They are just another team, who many people dislike for many reasons. Both Yankee fans and players enjoy the feelings it brings. Jeter went on record saying it revs him up to hear the boos. Although the Yankees fans can’t help how their management acts, the should at least know that many people dislike their team not because we think they are “the best,” but for a bunch of other reasons, including that we like our own teams better.

Now specifically A’s fans, at least the ones who know A’s history, which Yankee fans may find is a surprisingly large number, are sick of the fact that their young talent ends up playing in New York. Whether or not it is the player’s fault, or economics, or management, it still rankles. It has been happening since the A’s were in Philadelphia, accelerates when they were in KC, and continued in Oakland. However, from about the time of Giambi to the present, it just seems like there have been a spate of recent A’s favorites who ended up Yankees for more money than we could afford to pay them. And we don’t like it very much. But not because we think the Yankees are “the best.”

• woodyqq2 - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

HA HA It took a lot of reading here to find out you really think the Yankees are the BEST. Thanks for explaining it to those who do not spend as much time reading about the yankees as you do.

• bj2745 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Fun fact: the A’s signed Swisher to his current contract.

• invaliduseridx - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Unlike a lot of Red Sox fans, I don’t proclaim my team to be “the best”. They’re very good and have quite a history of winning but “the best”…I wouldn’t go there.

Honestly, I don’t really mind the boos. I don’t mind people giving me a hard time wearing a Yankee jersey around the Bay. You know why? Because it means they’re still relevant. If I were to wear a Royals jersey, a Rays jersey or even a Mariner’s jersey, nobody would care. But the Yankees…that gets people going. Usually people will start to talk and when we talk baseball, people are usually pretty cool and knowledgeable. Everyone cares about their team and roots for their team, that’s what makes sports great.

As for the A’s feelings towards the Yankees specifically, it’s understandable. But as I say to my A’s fan friends all the time, take it up with your owner/management. If the A’s took care of keeping their players, it wouldn’t matter what the Yankees offer. Nothing is stopping the A’s from increasing their payroll other than their own financial situation…which has nothing to do with the Yankees or any other team.

I give A’s fans a lot of credit: it’s been a while since they’ve had any real sustained success and it shows a lot to stay a fan during the ups and downs. I’ve seen all the newfound Giants fans throughout the Bay in the past two years and like most A’s fans, it makes me laugh and shake my head too.

• maureeng33 - Jul 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I wouldn’t exactly say the red sox have a “history” of winning, unless you consider 86 years of striking out in between championships a history of winning.

12. F14TRex.com - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

If he’d left for the money, that’d be one thing, but he got traded by his team to another team who traded him to the Yankees. I think A’s fans think he left via free agency, I guess.

• jamesjammz - Jul 21, 2012 at 5:49 AM

It doesn’t matter! How ex A’s players got there,(you know the adage,once an A’s always A’s,but to see them with yanks,that’s “Blasphemy”.

13. hcf95688 - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I’m an A’s fan. I’ve had a 20 game season ticket package off and on since 1987. Unlike in recent years, last night’s crowd was decidedly pro-Oakland (as opposed to being outnumbered in our own house by the bandwagon California Yankee fans….guys that have never been east of Reno but are “diehard” Yankees/Packers supporters).

I persoanlly didnt boo Swish, but in my opinion, the boos weren’t so much aimed at him as much as they are to drown out the cheering of the California Yankee fans.

• invaliduseridx - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM

How nice to assume that just because Yankee fans are watching in Oakland that they are “bandwagon California Yankee fans”. I certainly hope you have never said that to anyone face to face as you might be surprised how many people have been Yankee fans for quite a while.

True, I was born and raised in the Bay but I’ve been a Yankees fan my whole life. I’ve gone to NY once a year for the past decade or so and went to the opening of New Yankee Stadium as well as the last game at the “old” Yankee Stadium. If anyone called me a bandwagon fan, I’d call them out on it.

But yes, I was at last night’s game and the crowd was surprisingly pro-A’s. Most A’s fans are pretty cool but after the end of the game, some (not all) fans were acting like they had just won the WS. It was amusing.

14. pantherpro - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM

A’s fans are worst in baseball! Smallest in number and most are morons! Maybe they are tired of being the Giants bitch in NorCal? I can’t even pickup their FM radio station!

• jamesjammz - Jul 21, 2012 at 5:57 AM

So what!,we have 4 they have 1,remember. “89 earthquake series!

15. tablescrappy - Jul 21, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Giants bitch? A’s have more postseason appearances, more postseason wins, more division titles, more league championships, more world championships, a better head-to-head record in both spring training and the regular season games with the Giants, never had a f*cking crab as a mascot and don’t serve wine and cheese at their ballpark. A’s win.

16. bleed4philly - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Opposing fans should boo every visiting team that comes into their ball park. Help the home team out, give them an edge in the game like home-field advantages should be.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4058)