Jul 20, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Phillies prospect Tyson Gillies, who was arrested two years ago for cocaine possession before the charges were eventually dropped, has been suspended indefinitely by Double-A Reading.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Gillies “violated a team policy” and the situation has nothing to do with his previous arrest, but for the second time in three seasons the 23-year-old outfielder who came to the Phillies from the Mariners in the Cliff Lee swap will have to put his development on hold.
His off-field issues combined with hamstring problems and a concussion have limited Gillies to a grand total of just 77 games during the past three seasons. When in the lineup this year he played well, hitting .294 with an .815 OPS in 46 games, and the speedy center fielder has the potential to someday replace impending free agent Shane Victorino in Philadelphia.
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 33
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 24
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)