Jul 20, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Phillies prospect Tyson Gillies, who was arrested two years ago for cocaine possession before the charges were eventually dropped, has been suspended indefinitely by Double-A Reading.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Gillies “violated a team policy” and the situation has nothing to do with his previous arrest, but for the second time in three seasons the 23-year-old outfielder who came to the Phillies from the Mariners in the Cliff Lee swap will have to put his development on hold.
His off-field issues combined with hamstring problems and a concussion have limited Gillies to a grand total of just 77 games during the past three seasons. When in the lineup this year he played well, hitting .294 with an .815 OPS in 46 games, and the speedy center fielder has the potential to someday replace impending free agent Shane Victorino in Philadelphia.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)