Prince Fielder: “I just don’t know how to slide”

Jul 20, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

Tom Fornelli of South Side Asylum captured some wonderfulness from yesterday’s Tigers-Angels game. RIP, Maicer Izturis:

source:

What say you about that “slide,” Prince Fielder?

“I just don’t know how to slide,” Fielder said after the game. “I’m trying to get there. I just want to be safe. So, however I can get there, I just try to get it done.”

For our sake I hope he never learns. Because this kind of thing is just way too great to be ruined by proper form.

1. darthicarus - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I’ve sat & watched this about 50 times now & cannot stop cracking up watching the Big Fella (h/t Rod Allen FSD) round first. He looks like one of my 2-year olds trying so hard to run & keep up with their older sister but not going any faster. Then the epic shoulder diving slide into second caps off the awesomeness. Well done Prince, well done.

• ezthinking - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The truly scary/awesome thing is how fast he does run. You get that train a-rollin’ and it’s tough to stop.

2. royhobbs39 - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Sliders?? Now those…I can down fifty in one sitting.

3. mybrunoblog - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Good thing for him he is a great hitter. Usually he gets to jog around the bases 30 or 40 times a year. Man that was an ugly slide. Can we even call it a slide? Maybe call it falling forward on a prayer?

4. Francisco (FC) - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Did you see how far Izturis fell? Ty Cobb would approve. This is better than a slide. Now he has a rep. “Man watch out for Fielder, man doesn’t know how to slide, when he launches you’d better be clear off the base!”

5. kopy - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I once saw Fielder hit a triple, and he just kinda fell on 3rd base when he got there. It was a hideous slide. I figured he was just tired from legging out a triple, but now we know.

• bravojawja - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

A triple? Good grief, how long did that take? I can only assume the outfield was being manned by three catchers who had to chase down the ball.

• djstickypants - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM

He’s actually pretty fast.

• Bryz - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Don’t forget the Lew Ford-aided inside-the-park home run back in the Dome days.

6. ajcardsfan - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I think every physic’s lecture from this point forward should use this GIF to demonstrate Newton’s First and Third laws of motion.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I especially like the way he has to turn around a grab the base to keep from hurtling past it himself. Those must be some strong hand to stop that much momentum (though I suppose Izturis had already absorbed the brunt of the force).

8. Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

It will be a sad day when this guy hangs his cleats up for good.

• ptfu - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Prince’s walkup music should be a freight train whistle. #28 Fielder Express coming through!

9. latchbeam - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Now we know Joey Chestnut uses the handle “royhobbs39″

10. cur68 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

A GIF of rare beauty, grace & form. Its culmination, with Prince cuddling the base like the last Big Mac in the world and he MUST have it, really makes it a thing of rare beauty. Never learn to slide, Prince. For if you do, the world will miss the rare and beguiling sight of an athletic fat guy running hell for leather, sliding face first to beat the tag and pick up a double, but finishing this whole endeavor shaped the Hindenburg prior to hitting the ground wreathed in flames. The man is baseball’s message to the world: you do not have to be built like Brett Lawrie to be an athlete, but it helps if you try like him.

• stex52 - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM

A poetic tribute. You have cheered my day, Cur.

11. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

The point of sliding is to stop yourself from going past the base. Maybe he could have slid sooner, but he got the job done; he hit the dirt and is safe at 2nd, what more is there to learn!?…

“Don’t stand on the tracks when the train’s coming through.” Apparently this applies to 2nd base now, too.

12. savocabol1 - Jul 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Was he safe at least?

13. historiophiliac - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I was telling a buddy yesterday that PF needed to lose some weight, but after seeing this, I’ve changed my mind. I don’t want him to lose a pound! And, I hope every Tigers game devolves into Fielder Bowling!

14. mgv38 - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Prince may not be able to execute a slide, but I’ll bet he knows how to execute a plateful of sliders.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5498)