Jul 20, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
The early outburst ended his scoreless streak at 33 innings.
The Cubs were close enough to a deal that they had Justin Germano and Casey Coleman ready to be added to the roster tonight in case Dempster was traded before the game. Since nothing could be completed, negotiations could linger into next week. Still, it seems likely that Dempster has now made his final start for the Cubs.
The Dodgers and Red Sox are among those to have made bids for Dempster. There’s even been some thought the Cardinals could acquire him, though that seems unlikely.
Despite giving up four runs in six innings tonight, Dempster’s ERA stands at a National League-best 2.11. However, due to poor run and bullpen support, is win-loss record is 5-4.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)