The Nationals are “trying hard” for Ryan Dempster

Jul 20, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Ryan Dempster Getty Getty Images

The Dodgers are still thought to be in conversations with the Cubs over Ryan Dempster, but Jon Heyman says that the Nationals are “trying hard” for him too.

Heyman says the Braves and the Tigers are in the mix too. Dempster is scheduled to start tonight, setting up the possibility for one of the more dramatic trade-related things there are: the 11th hour scratch-as-harbinger of a trade.

Look, it’s dramatic relatively speaking, ok? I realize all of this trade nonsense is total nerfherder stuff.

1. andfitch82 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Baseball and a Star Wars reference. That’s why HBT is a one stop place for me.

• Ben - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Doesn’t make up for the cats.
      Well, kinda it does. But not really.

2. Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

No harbinger, he must pitch tonight. My fantasy team depends on it.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Go Jonny Go! Good luck.

3. natstowngreg - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

You have a call from a gentlemen who says he represents the Galactic Nerfherders Union.

4. ninjasports - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

The nats are a clear favorite in the east if Stratsburg keeps throwing and they add Dempster

• proudlycanadian - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM

The reason for getting Dempster, is that they still intend to shut down Strasburg.

• psr179 - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

and keeping him away from the braves is an added incentive.

• ninjasports - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I hope they don’t shut him down. I hear he is saying they will have to rip the ball out of his hand.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Dont want to risk a hand injury do you? Seriously, there is just too much long term risk to his career if he is over used early in his career. Do not want to risk another Tommy John operation.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Am I wrong that as a Braves fan I would prefer Garza to Dempster? Because I would.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I miss ya already, Dempster.

6. SmackSaw - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Why would he want to go the Dodgers? Doesn’t he want to win? He’s 35. Go to the Nats and get to the post season.

7. js20011041 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I do not understand the sudden desire for Ryan Dempster this year. He isn’t an ace. He’s maybe a 3. Both his BABIP and is LOB% are significantly better than his career norms this year. So basically, he’s been pitching well but he’s also been extremely lucky. Any team trading for him is essentially banking on him continuing to be lucky for the next two months. Sure, it could happen, but at his core, is Dempster really that much better than Ross Detweiler? Per Fangraphs, Dempsters ERA this year is 1.86 but his peripheral stats say it should be 3.13. Detweilers ERA is 3.15 but should be 3.76. That’s not a massive difference, especially when you consider that this team already has a strong starting staff, but has lacked offense. If they are going to add at the deadline, it should probably be another outfield bat. I think this team is likely to win the NL East even if they stand pat. If they do make the postseason, they will probably only need their top four starting pitchers, which means Dempster is relegated to the pen. Of course, I make this point assuming that they don’t do something stupid like shut down Strasburg in September, but that’s another issue entirely.

• shuusin - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

The outfield is already crowded with Harper, Morse, Bernadina/Lombardozzi, and Werth coming back. They had to send Ankiel down when they didn’t want to.

• js20011041 - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

You’re assuming Werth will come back at all, and if he does, will be effective. We’ve seen a number of players have numerous setbacks while trying to come back from injuries just this year. Lombardozzi is a nice utilty player, but he doesn’t have nearly enough bat to justify occupying a corner outfield spot. Bernadina is a quality fourth outfielder, but probably not an everyday player. The idea that Ankiel, he of the .282 OBP, would have prevented the team from upgrading the offense is laughable. I’m not arguing for them to go out and get a star outfielder or even an everyday player. But an extra bat to bring off the bench would be nice. Or perhaps a second baseman to platoon with Danny Espinosa. He’s been great against lefties, but against righties has been a replacement level player at best. Or perhaps a catcher, although I’m not sure off the top of my head who would be available. I just can’t see them trading prospects to fortify an area of strength while ignoring an area of relative weakness.

• natslady - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Detwiler’s been pretty good lately, so the question is, is Dempster better than Lannan?

• natinals10 - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM

yes and its not close come on the question is what do they have to give up to get him. Not is he better then Lannan. Trust in Rizzo

8. voteforno6 - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I don’t quite buy this one. I don’t see the Nats giving up some prospects just to rent Dempster for a few months.

1. H. Pence (2138)