Jul 20, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported earlier today that the Brewers offered Zack Greinke a five-year, $100-plus million contract extension sometime within the past few weeks. Greinke didn’t deny it when asked by Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel before tonight’s game.
“I can say Heyman is pretty accurate with what he’s saying, but nothing else,” said Greinke.
Heyman’s report also mentioned that all indications are Greinke will not accept the offer. However, the impending free agent wouldn’t quite confirm that part.
“I can’t say anything about that. I just gave you that one thing. I figured that was as good as I could do.”
Greinke was skipped in the starting rotation this week in an effort to recharge his batteries, but he is expected to return Tuesday night against the Phillies. With the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline looming, there’s a chance it could be his final start in a Brewers’ uniform.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)