Jul 21, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman provides the scoop:
Rays veteran right-hander James Shields looks like a prime trade candidate and at least the Tigers and Angels are said to have interest.
There have been reports that the Rays might consider dealing any of their five viable right-handed starters. But Shields looks like the most logical candidate due to his $9-million option for 2013.
The Rays will be looking to acquire pitching prospects and/or a young catcher in a return package.
Shields, 30, has registered an underwhelming 4.39 ERA and 1.44 WHIP in 20 starts this season, but he’s fanned 124 batters across 131 1/3 innings and can dominate opposing lineups when he’s really feeling it.
The SoCal native earned Cy Young Award votes last year after finishing with a 2.82 ERA in 249 1/3 frames.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)