Jul 21, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Aubrey Huff suffered a setback with his right knee in a minor league rehab game on Thursday night and returned to San Francisco in order to undergo an MRI.
Huff has been sidelined since June 11 with a sprained right knee. He went 2-for-13 (.154) with a walk and a strikeout in four games with High-A San Jose this week and was expected to join Triple-A Fresno on Friday. Giants manager Bruce Bochy said they were hoping to activate him from the disabled list on Monday, but it sounds like they’ll need to find a different way to bench Brandon Belt.
With that in mind, sources tell Baggarly that while the Giants are not close to any deals, they have formed a “fairly narrow list” of trade targets as they seek other options at first base.
Huff, 35, is batting just .155/.296/.259 with one home run, five RBI and a .554 OPS in 32 games played this season. He missed two weeks earlier this year while dealing with an anxiety disorder.
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that an MRI showed patellar tendinitis in the knee. He will rest this weekend before being reevaluated.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)