Jul 21, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Aubrey Huff suffered a setback with his right knee in a minor league rehab game on Thursday night and returned to San Francisco in order to undergo an MRI.
Huff has been sidelined since June 11 with a sprained right knee. He went 2-for-13 (.154) with a walk and a strikeout in four games with High-A San Jose this week and was expected to join Triple-A Fresno on Friday. Giants manager Bruce Bochy said they were hoping to activate him from the disabled list on Monday, but it sounds like they’ll need to find a different way to bench Brandon Belt.
With that in mind, sources tell Baggarly that while the Giants are not close to any deals, they have formed a “fairly narrow list” of trade targets as they seek other options at first base.
Huff, 35, is batting just .155/.296/.259 with one home run, five RBI and a .554 OPS in 32 games played this season. He missed two weeks earlier this year while dealing with an anxiety disorder.
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that an MRI showed patellar tendinitis in the knee. He will rest this weekend before being reevaluated.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)