Jul 21, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Aubrey Huff suffered a setback with his right knee in a minor league rehab game on Thursday night and returned to San Francisco in order to undergo an MRI.
Huff has been sidelined since June 11 with a sprained right knee. He went 2-for-13 (.154) with a walk and a strikeout in four games with High-A San Jose this week and was expected to join Triple-A Fresno on Friday. Giants manager Bruce Bochy said they were hoping to activate him from the disabled list on Monday, but it sounds like they’ll need to find a different way to bench Brandon Belt.
With that in mind, sources tell Baggarly that while the Giants are not close to any deals, they have formed a “fairly narrow list” of trade targets as they seek other options at first base.
Huff, 35, is batting just .155/.296/.259 with one home run, five RBI and a .554 OPS in 32 games played this season. He missed two weeks earlier this year while dealing with an anxiety disorder.
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that an MRI showed patellar tendinitis in the knee. He will rest this weekend before being reevaluated.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)