Jul 21, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Aubrey Huff suffered a setback with his right knee in a minor league rehab game on Thursday night and returned to San Francisco in order to undergo an MRI.
Huff has been sidelined since June 11 with a sprained right knee. He went 2-for-13 (.154) with a walk and a strikeout in four games with High-A San Jose this week and was expected to join Triple-A Fresno on Friday. Giants manager Bruce Bochy said they were hoping to activate him from the disabled list on Monday, but it sounds like they’ll need to find a different way to bench Brandon Belt.
With that in mind, sources tell Baggarly that while the Giants are not close to any deals, they have formed a “fairly narrow list” of trade targets as they seek other options at first base.
Huff, 35, is batting just .155/.296/.259 with one home run, five RBI and a .554 OPS in 32 games played this season. He missed two weeks earlier this year while dealing with an anxiety disorder.
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that an MRI showed patellar tendinitis in the knee. He will rest this weekend before being reevaluated.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)