Jul 21, 2012, 9:58 AM EST
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Aubrey Huff suffered a setback with his right knee in a minor league rehab game on Thursday night and returned to San Francisco in order to undergo an MRI.
Huff has been sidelined since June 11 with a sprained right knee. He went 2-for-13 (.154) with a walk and a strikeout in four games with High-A San Jose this week and was expected to join Triple-A Fresno on Friday. Giants manager Bruce Bochy said they were hoping to activate him from the disabled list on Monday, but it sounds like they’ll need to find a different way to bench Brandon Belt.
With that in mind, sources tell Baggarly that while the Giants are not close to any deals, they have formed a “fairly narrow list” of trade targets as they seek other options at first base.
Huff, 35, is batting just .155/.296/.259 with one home run, five RBI and a .554 OPS in 32 games played this season. He missed two weeks earlier this year while dealing with an anxiety disorder.
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that an MRI showed patellar tendinitis in the knee. He will rest this weekend before being reevaluated.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)