Jul 21, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Jonny Venters tossed a scoreless inning last night in his first rehab appearance last night with Triple-A Gwinnett. He was originally expected to make two appearances before returning from the disabled list, but the Braves have decided to activate him for today’s doubleheader against the Nationals. Matt Diaz was placed on the disabled list with a right thumb contusion in a corresponding roster move.
Venters has been sidelined since July 5 with a left elbow impingement. The 27-year-old southpaw has a 4.45 ERA and 43/17 K/BB ratio over 32 1/3 innings this season, including a 6.08 ERA since May 1. No pitcher has appeared in more games (207) since Venters made his major league debut in 2010.
Craig Kimbrel blew his second save of the season last night and has worked in each of the last three days, so Venters could find himself in the mix for a save if the Braves have a lead today.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)