Jul 21, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Cameron Maybin missed his third straight start last night as he continues to nurse soreness in his right wrist. While Padres manager Bud Black said that a stint on the disabled list is “highly unlikely,” Corey Brock and Chelsea Janes of MLB.com report that he could sit out the rest of the weekend series against the Rockies.
“You might not see him swing a bat for a few days,” said Padres manager Bud Black. “He’s a little better [Friday], but it will probably be a couple of days until you see him.”
Maybin missed four games in late May with soreness in the very same wrist, so the injury has lingered for nearly two months now. He underwent an MRI at the time of the initial injury which ruled out any structural damage.
Maybin, who signed a five-year, $25 million extension with the Padres in March, is batting just .221/.295/.319 with four home runs, 26 RBI, 18 stolen bases and a .615 OPS in 86 games played this season. The 25-year-old center fielder has at least turned things around a bit recently, hitting .327 (18-for-55) with four doubles, a home run and an .827 OPS over his last 15 games.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)