Jul 21, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Cameron Maybin missed his third straight start last night as he continues to nurse soreness in his right wrist. While Padres manager Bud Black said that a stint on the disabled list is “highly unlikely,” Corey Brock and Chelsea Janes of MLB.com report that he could sit out the rest of the weekend series against the Rockies.
“You might not see him swing a bat for a few days,” said Padres manager Bud Black. “He’s a little better [Friday], but it will probably be a couple of days until you see him.”
Maybin missed four games in late May with soreness in the very same wrist, so the injury has lingered for nearly two months now. He underwent an MRI at the time of the initial injury which ruled out any structural damage.
Maybin, who signed a five-year, $25 million extension with the Padres in March, is batting just .221/.295/.319 with four home runs, 26 RBI, 18 stolen bases and a .615 OPS in 86 games played this season. The 25-year-old center fielder has at least turned things around a bit recently, hitting .327 (18-for-55) with four doubles, a home run and an .827 OPS over his last 15 games.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)