Jul 21, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Cameron Maybin missed his third straight start last night as he continues to nurse soreness in his right wrist. While Padres manager Bud Black said that a stint on the disabled list is “highly unlikely,” Corey Brock and Chelsea Janes of MLB.com report that he could sit out the rest of the weekend series against the Rockies.
“You might not see him swing a bat for a few days,” said Padres manager Bud Black. “He’s a little better [Friday], but it will probably be a couple of days until you see him.”
Maybin missed four games in late May with soreness in the very same wrist, so the injury has lingered for nearly two months now. He underwent an MRI at the time of the initial injury which ruled out any structural damage.
Maybin, who signed a five-year, $25 million extension with the Padres in March, is batting just .221/.295/.319 with four home runs, 26 RBI, 18 stolen bases and a .615 OPS in 86 games played this season. The 25-year-old center fielder has at least turned things around a bit recently, hitting .327 (18-for-55) with four doubles, a home run and an .827 OPS over his last 15 games.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)