Jul 21, 2012, 12:18 PM EDT
The Dodgers have long been considered the favorites to land Ryan Dempster, but it appears that their strategy is changing on the fly.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is reporting that the Dodgers are now seen as “very unlikely” to trade for Dempster. The team would prefer to not deal some of their top prospects for a rental player, as Dempster will be a free agent after this season. Per the new collective bargaining agreement, he also can’t be offered arbitration by the acquiring team. This leads Rosenthal to believe that Dempster’s teammate Matt Garza is the “more logical target,” as he is under team control through 2013.
It’s not clear who the Cubs are asking for in return for Dempster. While top prospect right-hander Zach Lee would be off-limits in a Dempster deal, his name would surely come up in discussions for Garza.
Dempster has 5-and-10 rights and can veto any trade. He gave up four runs over six innings last night against the Cardinals and saw his 33-inning scoreless streak come to an end. The Nationals, Braves, Tigers and Cardinals are among the other teams who have reportedly expressed interest in the veteran right-hander.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Braves, Nationals and Cardinals are currently battling it out for Dempster. The Cubs seek pitching prospects in all deals.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)