Jul 21, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
The Mets were considering skipping Johan Santana or at least pushing him back for a few days after he was knocked around for six runs over three innings last night against the Dodgers, but Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that they have decided to place him on the disabled list with a right ankle injury.
Santana twisted his ankle while covering first base in his final start before the All-Star break back on July 6 against the Cubs. He had his foot stepped on by Reed Johnson in the process. According to Kevin Burkhardt of SNY, Santana admitted he was throwing some pitches “all arm” because he wasn’t able to land on the ankle. The injury evidently doesn’t correlate to his workload from the no-hitter, but it’s still a dangerous combination for someone who is in their first season back from shoulder surgery. While the DL-stint comes at a tough time for the fading Mets, he’ll now get a couple weeks off to rest both the ankle and his arm.
Santana has allowed 19 runs over his last three starts, increasing his ERA from 2.76 to 3.98 on the year. Jeremy Hefner was called up from Triple-A Buffalo today and is a candidate to take his place in the starting rotation. Top prospect Matt Harvey, who was passed over in favor of Miguel Batista to start today against the Dodgers, is also a possibility.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)