Picture of the Day: Rockies honor victims of Aurora shooting

Jul 21, 2012, 11:15 AM EST

The Rockies were in San Diego last night, but their hearts were with the victims of Friday’s movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado which killed 12 and wounded 59.

The Rockies wore “7-20″ eye black stickers and black wrist bands along with their purple jerseys. They also hung a black jersey in their dugout which read “We remember 7-20.”

Via the Associated Press, here’s a picture from before last night’s game at PETCO Park as the Padres and Rockies observed a moment of silence for those affected by the tragedy.

source: AP

1. Old Gator - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Thoughtful and decent of them. I really, really hope Joe Torre doesn’t find something “wrong” with their uniforms now.

2. ningenito78 - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Ugh. God forbid Gator.

• Old Gator - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Yeah, I agree. But I remember there was some sort of memorial or commemorative demonstration not too long ago to which the Commissioner’s people objected on some incredible anal basis. I just hope they have the sense to leave this one alone.

• Kevin S. - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM

You’re probably thinking about the Mets wanting to wear the FDNY hats on the tenth anniversary of 9/11.

• stoutfiles - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM

The Mets wanted to honor it so they could sell unique merchandise. It’s fine to honor something if you’re not directly profiting from it.

I would hope they remember 7-20, it was only a few days ago.

• hittfamily - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM

No, it was the Nationals. I don’t remember what they were trying to “honor”, but they also wanted to sell replica caps at the concessions and online. It wasn’t a true honoring. It was a capitalistic fraud, in the same sense that companies use charitable funds to hype their products. “Part of the proceeds will be donated to charity” always will be a gimmick, and that is why the Nats were denied their “homage”.

• hojo20 - Jul 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I think Keith Foulke’s American flag on the hat was an issue.

• Kevin S. - Jul 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Maybe the Nats wanted to do something else as well, but I definitely remember the Mets wanting to wear the FDNY hats and MLB throwing a shit-fit because they *weren’t* officially licensed. They’d have been fine with it if they could have profited off of it.

3. jon623 - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

This sociopathic dumbass just destroyed the lives of many, many people for absolutely nothing. God bless those families, friends, loved ones and victims. This is a scary, crazy world we are living in. It’s good to see this organization honoring and showing respect to those involved in this incident, and even more-so to see genuine emotion on the faces of the players. Powerful stuff…

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Dumbass is right, he couldn’t even get the hair color correct. The Joker had green hair, Bozzo the clown wore red.

4. hittfamily - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM

We allow AR15’s to be sold at sporting goods stores, and then we act shocked when someone uses them for what they are designed to be used for.

What’s the definition of insanity again?

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Gotta agree with you on this one. I believe those sold to the public are “only” semi-autos, but anyone that knows what they are doing can modify them to make them fully automatic.

They are called assault rifles for a reason…and it ain’t because you hunt ducks with ‘em.

• hittfamily - Jul 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Yeah. It’s my understanding that the M16 and the AR15 are the same weapon, but one has a fully automatic switch, and one doesn’t. The M16 was issued to troops for 40+ years, so it is a very good, very deadly weapon.

Like you, it is my impression the AR15 is very easily turned fully automatic.

I don’t know the exact definition of a weapon of mass destruction, but does 12 dead, 50+ injured qualify it as one?

• Kevin S. - Jul 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I’m fairly certain you can buy conversion kits for stuff like that at gun shows.

When did we get the idea that the Second Amendment meant you could own absolutely any type of weapon you wanted?

• indaburg - Jul 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I totally agree. The other thing that jumped out at me is that this guy bought 6,000 rounds of ammo in the past couple of months. Who in the world needs 6,000 rounds of ammo? What in the world could you possibly be “hunting”? Why aren’t we tracking these types of purchases? Not to make light of this senseless tragedy, but this reminds me of an old Chris Rock skit: “We don’t need no gun control. We need bullet control. If a bullet cost $5,000, there’d be no innocent bystanders. Every time someone gets shot, people will be like,’Damn, he must have did something.'”

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM

“What’s the definition of insanity again?”

Allowing lobbyists to dictate industry regulations.

5. mungman69 - Jul 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Honey, what’s playing at the movies tonight?

• hittfamily - Jul 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM

purdueman, cepts, mungman69

I’ll take dickwads for 100 Alex.

• Old Gator - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM

You forgot cup0feces. I sometimes think mungman is really the same schmuck under a different name, partially since their idiocy is of the same order, but partially because I don’t want to believe that there could be two equally imbecilic midgrade sociopaths out there.

• stex52 - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

That’s remarkably optimistic of you, Gator. I personally think we are hip deep in imbecilic sociopaths these days.

• jon623 - Jul 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

@mungman, you are what is wrong with modern society. The total void of concern and sympathy from you is actually genuinely frigthening. For your own sake, I really hope you aren’t as cold and callous as your comment suggests.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4837)
  2. M. Kemp (3437)
  3. J. Upton (2510)
  4. J. Kang (2471)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2453)
  1. C. McGehee (2434)