Jul 21, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
It’s now likely that Roberto Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, will pitch with the Indians in the very near future.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Hernandez has received his U.S. visa and is scheduled to arrive in Cleveland tonight. He’s scheduled to meet with reporters tomorrow at Progressive Field and will throw a simulated game for the Indians next week.
Hernandez was arrested in January in his native Dominican Republic for falsifying his identity. He reached a deal in March to have the charges dropped in exchange for completing a work program.
While Hernandez will be back in the United States this weekend, he will not join the Indians’ starting rotation right away. Hoynes was told that Hernandez will have to serve a three-week suspension first. The suspension will begin today, so he’ll be eligible to return on August 11.
The Indians were hoping that Hernandez would be able to avoid a suspension altogether, as he agreed this spring to renogotiate his contract and take a cut in guaranteed pay. Still, the punishment isn’t as severe as the eight-week suspension levied to Marlins’ right-hander Juan Carlos Oviedo for falsifying his identity. Hernandez will need three or four tuneup starts in the minors anyway, so the suspension may not have a big impact on his timetable.
Hernandez posted a 5.25 ERA in 32 starts with the Indians last year. He owns a 53-66 record and a 4.59 ERA over six seasons in the majors.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)