Jul 21, 2012, 8:49 AM EST
If Tim Lincecum isn’t back, well, he’s certainly on the right track.
After tossing eight shutout innings against the Astros in his last start last Saturday, Lincecum gave up two runs over seven innings last night in Philadelphia as part of a 7-2 win over the Phillies. His ERA dropped from 5.93 to 5.72 with the solid effort.
Things looked pretty shaky for a moment, as Lincecum fell off the mound in the middle of his windup to balk in a run in the bottom of the fourth inning. He then walked the bases loaded before getting Placido Polanco on a groundout to escape. The only other run scored on a solo home run by Ryan Howard in the sixth.
Lincecum gave up just five hits in all while striking out six and walking a pair. He topped out at 92.9 mph on his fastball and maintained his velocity throughout. The Giants already lead the Dodgers by 2 1/2 games in the National League West, but they could start to pull away if Lincecum finally gets in a groove.
Your Friday box scores:
Braves 11, Nationals 10 (11 innings)
Mariners 3, Rays 4 (14 innings)
Twins 2, Royals 1 (11 innings)
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (107)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)