Jul 21, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
If Tim Lincecum isn’t back, well, he’s certainly on the right track.
After tossing eight shutout innings against the Astros in his last start last Saturday, Lincecum gave up two runs over seven innings last night in Philadelphia as part of a 7-2 win over the Phillies. His ERA dropped from 5.93 to 5.72 with the solid effort.
Things looked pretty shaky for a moment, as Lincecum fell off the mound in the middle of his windup to balk in a run in the bottom of the fourth inning. He then walked the bases loaded before getting Placido Polanco on a groundout to escape. The only other run scored on a solo home run by Ryan Howard in the sixth.
Lincecum gave up just five hits in all while striking out six and walking a pair. He topped out at 92.9 mph on his fastball and maintained his velocity throughout. The Giants already lead the Dodgers by 2 1/2 games in the National League West, but they could start to pull away if Lincecum finally gets in a groove.
Your Friday box scores:
Braves 11, Nationals 10 (11 innings)
Mariners 3, Rays 4 (14 innings)
Twins 2, Royals 1 (11 innings)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)