Jul 21, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post hears that the Yankees “have shown some interest” in picking up Rick Ankiel.
Ankiel was designated for assignment by the Nationals this week after batting just .228/.282/.411 with five home runs and a .694 OPS through 171 plate appearances. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com wrote at the time that the Yankees “don’t seem interested” in Ankiel, but it’s possible things have changed over the past couple of days.
Brett Gardner will have right elbow surgery next week and is expected to miss the rest of the season. Meanwhile, Nick Swisher left last night’s game against the Athletics with a mild left hip flexor strain and is considered day-to-day. Raul Ibanez and Andruw Jones have been surprisingly productive in left field and Dewayne Wise has played well as an extra outfielder, but the Yankees figure to be on the lookout for alternatives in the coming days and weeks.
Ankiel, 33, can play all three outfield positions and has some pop from the left side, so he figures to latch on somewhere even if the Yankees pass.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)