Jul 21, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
After completing a 10-player deal with the Blue Jays yesterday, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow isn’t done wheeling and dealing.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the White Sox have acquired right-hander Brett Myers from the Astros. No word yet on who the Astros will receive in return.
Myers was moved into the closer role this season and has a 3.52 ERA and 20/6 K/BB ratio over 30 2/3 innings while going 19-for-21 in save opportunities. He is still owed a little less than half of his $11 million salary for this season while his contract includes a $3 million buyout on a $10 million option for next season. The Astros reworked his contract this spring so that the option will vest automatically if he finishes 45 games and doesn’t finish the season on the disabled list. He currently has 29 games finished.
It’s not clear whether Myers will close with his new team. Rookie right-hander Addison Reed has handled the gig since May and has a 4.24 ERA and 34/14 K/BB ratio in 34 innings this season while going 15-for-18 in save chances.
UPDATE: Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros will receive right-hander Matt Heidenreich, left-hander Blair Walters and a player to be named later in return.
Heidenreich, a fourth-round pick in 2009, has a 3.95 ERA in 18 starts between High-A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham this season. Walters was drafted last year and has a 3.99 ERA and 165/39 K/BB ratio over his first 171 1/3 innings in pro ball. Baseball America ranked Walters as Chicago’s No. 26 prospect coming into the season while Heidenreich wasn’t included on their top-30 list.
UPDATE II: Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that Myers will cost the White Sox roughly $1 million for the rest of this season, so they will also receive cash considerations from the Astros. Part of the salary relief will include cash toward the $3 million buyout or $10 million option for next year.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)