Jul 21, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
After completing a 10-player deal with the Blue Jays yesterday, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow isn’t done wheeling and dealing.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the White Sox have acquired right-hander Brett Myers from the Astros. No word yet on who the Astros will receive in return.
Myers was moved into the closer role this season and has a 3.52 ERA and 20/6 K/BB ratio over 30 2/3 innings while going 19-for-21 in save opportunities. He is still owed a little less than half of his $11 million salary for this season while his contract includes a $3 million buyout on a $10 million option for next season. The Astros reworked his contract this spring so that the option will vest automatically if he finishes 45 games and doesn’t finish the season on the disabled list. He currently has 29 games finished.
It’s not clear whether Myers will close with his new team. Rookie right-hander Addison Reed has handled the gig since May and has a 4.24 ERA and 34/14 K/BB ratio in 34 innings this season while going 15-for-18 in save chances.
UPDATE: Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros will receive right-hander Matt Heidenreich, left-hander Blair Walters and a player to be named later in return.
Heidenreich, a fourth-round pick in 2009, has a 3.95 ERA in 18 starts between High-A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham this season. Walters was drafted last year and has a 3.99 ERA and 165/39 K/BB ratio over his first 171 1/3 innings in pro ball. Baseball America ranked Walters as Chicago’s No. 26 prospect coming into the season while Heidenreich wasn’t included on their top-30 list.
UPDATE II: Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that Myers will cost the White Sox roughly $1 million for the rest of this season, so they will also receive cash considerations from the Astros. Part of the salary relief will include cash toward the $3 million buyout or $10 million option for next year.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)