Jul 21, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
After completing a 10-player deal with the Blue Jays yesterday, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow isn’t done wheeling and dealing.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the White Sox have acquired right-hander Brett Myers from the Astros. No word yet on who the Astros will receive in return.
Myers was moved into the closer role this season and has a 3.52 ERA and 20/6 K/BB ratio over 30 2/3 innings while going 19-for-21 in save opportunities. He is still owed a little less than half of his $11 million salary for this season while his contract includes a $3 million buyout on a $10 million option for next season. The Astros reworked his contract this spring so that the option will vest automatically if he finishes 45 games and doesn’t finish the season on the disabled list. He currently has 29 games finished.
It’s not clear whether Myers will close with his new team. Rookie right-hander Addison Reed has handled the gig since May and has a 4.24 ERA and 34/14 K/BB ratio in 34 innings this season while going 15-for-18 in save chances.
UPDATE: Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros will receive right-hander Matt Heidenreich, left-hander Blair Walters and a player to be named later in return.
Heidenreich, a fourth-round pick in 2009, has a 3.95 ERA in 18 starts between High-A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham this season. Walters was drafted last year and has a 3.99 ERA and 165/39 K/BB ratio over his first 171 1/3 innings in pro ball. Baseball America ranked Walters as Chicago’s No. 26 prospect coming into the season while Heidenreich wasn’t included on their top-30 list.
UPDATE II: Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that Myers will cost the White Sox roughly $1 million for the rest of this season, so they will also receive cash considerations from the Astros. Part of the salary relief will include cash toward the $3 million buyout or $10 million option for next year.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)