Jul 22, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
According to CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney, the Cubs are “optimistic” that Garza will avoid the disabled list and be able to make his next scheduled outing. X-rays came up negative on Saturday night, and the team’s medical staff is confident that the discomfort is not related to past elbow issues.
Garza, 28, has registered a cool 3.91 ERA, 1.18 WHIP in 18 starts this season, fanning 96 batters and walking only 32 across 103 2/3 innings. The Cubs are expected to ship him to another club right around this year’s July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)