Jul 22, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
According to CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney, the Cubs are “optimistic” that Garza will avoid the disabled list and be able to make his next scheduled outing. X-rays came up negative on Saturday night, and the team’s medical staff is confident that the discomfort is not related to past elbow issues.
Garza, 28, has registered a cool 3.91 ERA, 1.18 WHIP in 18 starts this season, fanning 96 batters and walking only 32 across 103 2/3 innings. The Cubs are expected to ship him to another club right around this year’s July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20