Edwin Jackson is dropping super agent Scott Boras

Jul 22, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT

edwin jackson getty Getty Images

Edwin Jackson had to settle for a one-year, $11 million free agent contract with the Nationals this past February after turning down multi-year offers from other organizations earlier in the offseason.

It’s worked out fine, with Jackson playing a major part in one of baseball’s best starting rotations, but the 28-year-old right-hander is clearly hoping things go a little better for him financially when he gets another shot to cash in this coming winter.

According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, E-Jax has opted to leave agent Scott Boras and sign on with the Legacy Agency. And he will “almost certainly seek a long-term deal” if he hits the open market.

Jackson, who’s already on his eighth MLB team, has posted a 3.73 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP in 18 starts this season for first-place Washington. He’s fanned 86 batters and walked only 34 in 113 1/3 innings of work.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Wise move. The tactics used by Boras benefit some of his clients, but they also hurt some of his other clients.

• mgflolox - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I’ve always felt Scott Boras’ negotiating tactics were designed to benefit Scott Boras and his ego more than his clients.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM

He certainly seems to have a big ego.

• Kevin S. - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Right, the lion’s share of baseball’s elite talents sign with Scott Boras because his negotiating tactics benefit him more than them.

• kkolchak - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I think the tactics work better if you are an elite talent, which Jackson is not. He’s a nice pitcher to have at No. 3 or 4 in the rotation, but he’s just too inconsistent. If he wants a long term deal, he needs to lower his salary expectations somewhat.

That deal probably won’t come from the Nats, BTW. With the way Detwiler has stepped it up, he’ll likely be their No. 4 next year with the team going for a cheaper option at No. 5.

2. garylanglais - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM

For a guy who has been on 7 teams over the last 7 seasons you gotta figure he will be including at least some no-trade clause in his FA deal

• prionogenic - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM

No-trade clauses often cost the player money and full no-trade clauses are only given to top-of-the line talent. The ability to veto trades to some teams though is more common, but still it doesn’t guarantee the player doesn’t get traded

3. randygnyc - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM

All you need to know about Boras you can see during any Angels home game against the Yankees (I’m assuming against other teams as well), during nationally broadcast games). He occupies a “dugout” section for VIP’s right behind homeplate. He never sits and relishes being on camera for every pitch. He moves around directly behind the plate with no regard for the pitcher who can’t help but see the distraction. Never mind that normal fans can’t even go to their seats until an inning ends. I’ve seen him wear white too. Can’t be good for the infielders. I’ve also seen him have people moved/removed from his ‘”section”. A complete egocentric jerk.

4. adm272012 - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Walked only 34, he had almost that many is his no hitter a couple years ago

5. sincitybonobo - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:05 AM

I’ve always been conflicted about the role of agents in baseball. I recognize that talent on the diamond does not necessarily translate to acumen in the boardroom. Agents are charged with pursuing a player’s best interests and providing expertise and toughness when negotiating with major league organizations and their legal teams.

However, Jackson’s contract from last offseason was puzzling and, perhaps illustrative, of the inevitable conflicts that must arise in the world of agents. Though no other Boras starting pitcher was a free agent last offseason, it is entirely possible that two of his clients could have been pursued for the same rotation spot by the same team. How can the interests of both players be vigorously defended in such a scenario? Or, perhaps a team has a finite amount of $ to sign either a mid-reliever or a utility infielder. Both players are represented by a single agent. Any potential conflict there?

If I were a player, I would be wary of allowing anyone else to speak on my behalf, as it relates to my career. But, then again, ask Prince Fielder how his relationship with Boras is doing.

Jackson signed very late in the offseason, as I recall. Perhaps Jackson, acting on his agent’s advice, held out too long for a contract that simply wasn’t out there- either in terms of dollars or years. His deal’s annual value is reasonable. But, lesser pitchers at his age have inked longer deals. Personalities aside, if I had Jackson’s numbers at his age and emerged from a gold rush of an offseason with “only” $11 million, I’d want a new agent, as well.

• brettj666 - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Still will earn about 5x more in 2012 than he would in an entire life of working outside of baseball.

6. sincitybonobo - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:26 AM

If “a rising tide lifts all boats”, Boras and Marvin Miller are on the Mount Rushmore of men who have helped players get their fair share of the enormous amount of revenue generated by the game.

That said, I would be more comfortable letting Boras negotiate my deal if I were an elite talent than a rank and file player. But, there is no denying his talent. Did anyone see Jayson Werth pulling down $126 million as as free agent? I would love to know what his second-best offer was. All it takes is one.

7. stex52 - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I think it’s fairly straightforward. Boras is a very hard negotiator. He has certainly shown a lot of freedom with his ethics in the past, but we’ll pass over that for the moment. If a team perceives itself as really needing a certain talent at a certain time (especially if they can be deceived into believing someone else needs the same talent just as much) they will go higher than the market should really demand. If a player is solid, but demonstrably not that much different from several similar talents, then most teams will have the good sense to look for an alternative free agent. Boras’ real skill shows up in those cases where he can find the button that really convinces that certain GM (or owner) that he must have this particular player. Doesn’t always work, but it works enough to make some players very rich.

I’m not sure if this explains the Werth deal. That was a truly amazing piece of sleight of hand.

8. stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

E. Jack has always been a work horse. I appreciated what he brought to the Cardinals last year a great deal. I hated to see him leave. I know they could sure use him right now with their pitching staff being as banged up as they are.

Three legends off to Cooperstown