Jul 22, 2012, 10:27 AM EST
Marlins third baseman Hanley Ramirez suffered a cut on the knuckles of his right hand when he punched a cooling fan earlier this month in St. Louis. He then forgot to take his daily medication and is now sidelined indefinitely with a nasty infection.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Ramirez had only “50 percent use of his hand” on Saturday night and will be idle for the rest of this weekend’s series with the Pirates. He could also miss the Marlins’ three-game set against the Braves that gets underway Monday in Miami.
“I don’t think I can grab the ball or the bat,” said Hanley. “As soon as I can do those things, I will be there.’’
Ramirez, 28, is batting .246/.322/.430 with 14 home runs and 47 RBI in 92 games this season. It’s important to stress again that fights with inanimate objects — especially big metal ones — don’t often end well.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)