Jul 22, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
Marlins third baseman Hanley Ramirez suffered a cut on the knuckles of his right hand when he punched a cooling fan earlier this month in St. Louis. He then forgot to take his daily medication and is now sidelined indefinitely with a nasty infection.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Ramirez had only “50 percent use of his hand” on Saturday night and will be idle for the rest of this weekend’s series with the Pirates. He could also miss the Marlins’ three-game set against the Braves that gets underway Monday in Miami.
“I don’t think I can grab the ball or the bat,” said Hanley. “As soon as I can do those things, I will be there.’’
Ramirez, 28, is batting .246/.322/.430 with 14 home runs and 47 RBI in 92 games this season. It’s important to stress again that fights with inanimate objects — especially big metal ones — don’t often end well.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)