Jul 22, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
Marlins third baseman Hanley Ramirez suffered a cut on the knuckles of his right hand when he punched a cooling fan earlier this month in St. Louis. He then forgot to take his daily medication and is now sidelined indefinitely with a nasty infection.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Ramirez had only “50 percent use of his hand” on Saturday night and will be idle for the rest of this weekend’s series with the Pirates. He could also miss the Marlins’ three-game set against the Braves that gets underway Monday in Miami.
“I don’t think I can grab the ball or the bat,” said Hanley. “As soon as I can do those things, I will be there.’’
Ramirez, 28, is batting .246/.322/.430 with 14 home runs and 47 RBI in 92 games this season. It’s important to stress again that fights with inanimate objects — especially big metal ones — don’t often end well.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)