Jul 22, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
Marlins third baseman Hanley Ramirez suffered a cut on the knuckles of his right hand when he punched a cooling fan earlier this month in St. Louis. He then forgot to take his daily medication and is now sidelined indefinitely with a nasty infection.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Ramirez had only “50 percent use of his hand” on Saturday night and will be idle for the rest of this weekend’s series with the Pirates. He could also miss the Marlins’ three-game set against the Braves that gets underway Monday in Miami.
“I don’t think I can grab the ball or the bat,” said Hanley. “As soon as I can do those things, I will be there.’’
Ramirez, 28, is batting .246/.322/.430 with 14 home runs and 47 RBI in 92 games this season. It’s important to stress again that fights with inanimate objects — especially big metal ones — don’t often end well.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)