Jul 22, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
Marlins third baseman Hanley Ramirez suffered a cut on the knuckles of his right hand when he punched a cooling fan earlier this month in St. Louis. He then forgot to take his daily medication and is now sidelined indefinitely with a nasty infection.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Ramirez had only “50 percent use of his hand” on Saturday night and will be idle for the rest of this weekend’s series with the Pirates. He could also miss the Marlins’ three-game set against the Braves that gets underway Monday in Miami.
“I don’t think I can grab the ball or the bat,” said Hanley. “As soon as I can do those things, I will be there.’’
Ramirez, 28, is batting .246/.322/.430 with 14 home runs and 47 RBI in 92 games this season. It’s important to stress again that fights with inanimate objects – especially big metal ones — don’t often end well.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (79)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (71)